Author Topic: Re: Control Pad issues on the Turbo Express.  (Read 421 times)

red_tuscani

Re: Control Pad issues on the Turbo Express.
« on: May 15, 2011, 01:31:01 AM »
Hi guys, I am a newbie to this forum and it's great to know that there are still so many avid supporters of the good old PC engine consoles. I owned a Turbo Express and are having problems with the D-pad and control buttons. Is there anyone out there who knows how to get these problems resolved? I am not a technical guy so I would appreciate if anyone of you guys can help me to resolve these problems for a nominal fee. Thanks in advance.

Keith Courage

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:48:43 AM »
Does the Dpad feel like it is sticking when you push it down or does it just not work sometimes? If it is sicking then you need a new rubber pad for underneath it. Same as any turbo grafx or PC engine controller. If it sometimes doesn't work then you should clean the contacts on the board with rubbing alcohol and q-tip or scrape the board contacts slightly with a flat screw driver to get the dirt off.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:55:37 AM by Keith Courage »

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »
I had a problem with an avenue 6 pad not making contact and I thought it was fubared until I opened it up to reveal 15+ years of nastiness. I cleaned it out, cleaned the contacts and tightened the screws on the controller and it works great now.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

red_tuscani

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:59:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I opened up the console today and found that the rubber pad was damaged (broken into pieces probably due to wear and tear). Does anyone knows where I can purchased a new rubber pad and are there any advice on the issues which I am facing on the 'A' and 'B' control buttons? I already tried cleaning up the contacts but it is still not working.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:19:30 PM »
If its completely in pieces you'll have to find a replacement for the rubber contact pad. It might be hard to find an exact fit but you might be able to find a donor rubber part from another consoles controller pad. Look for something with similar button sizes and placement between buttons and cut it to similar size. Finding a donor Express might be difficult because even non working units still go for a bit on ebay due to it being well documented that they are repairable.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 07:30:37 PM »
I would keep an eye out on ebay for a used broken Turbo grafx or PC engine control pad. All PC engine control pads have the pad you would need. However, only some turbo grafx ones would. The early TG controllers had these stupid two part pads instead of the newer ones that were one piece like what you need.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 11:14:32 PM »
There might be someone on here that has a broken pad they could donate that part from if you ask.

daedalia

Re: Re: Control Pad issues on the Turbo Express.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 04:58:58 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I opened up the console today and found that the rubber pad was damaged (broken into pieces probably due to wear and tear). Does anyone knows where I can purchased a new rubber pad and are there any advice on the issues which I am facing on the 'A' and 'B' control buttons? I already tried cleaning up the contacts but it is still not working.

I took mine apart and the rubber contact pad looked exactly the same as something I saw when destroying things as a kid. I'm thinking it was the same as a Megadrive pad, maybe a Game Gear which should still be cheaper than finding a TGE one. I'll do some research.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:29:13 AM by daedalia »

thesteve

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:09:55 AM »
the issues on the "'A' and 'B' control buttons" is typically due to tarnish on the turbo switches.
polish the switches and it should work much better

vestcoat

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 02:37:22 PM »

If it is sicking then you need a new rubber pad for underneath it. Same as any turbo grafx or PC engine controller.

I would keep an eye out on ebay for a used broken Turbo grafx or PC engine control pad. All PC engine control pads have the pad you would need.
I'm thinking it was the same as a Megadrive pad, maybe a Game Gear which should still be cheaper than finding a TGE one. I'll do some research.
Like ships passing in the night...
KC has answered the OP twice now.  Is he wrong or are you guys not reading his responses?
I'm curious because I have the same issue with my TE and I'm too lazy to open it right now.

daedalia

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 10:50:12 PM »
LOL, I think it's quite obvious I don't read too good, but thank you for pointing it out. ;)

Grab a screw driver and crack her open, think how nice she'll feel with some new rubber in her.