Author Topic: how much to pay for a broken duo?  (Read 277 times)

bartre

how much to pay for a broken duo?
« on: August 15, 2011, 06:40:17 PM »
well, like the title says, a local store says they've got a broken turbo duo in stock, and that he may be willing to sell it to me.
what's a fair price?
according to the owner, the issue is that the games won't load, not the typical sound issue.

RR1980

Re: how much to pay for a broken duo?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
game won't load as in busted laser? so the hucard slot is working then? I think previously some broken Duo-R/DuoRx had been sold for a little under/over $100 here but then again that's forum prices tho since the guy actually has a store and with so much overhead he might want more for it.

BlueBMW

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:34:29 AM »
I've paid $80 or so in the past for duos where the hucard side works but the cd side does not.

Sound issue or not, caps should be done regardless.  I've had bad caps make the laser not read cds.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:26:35 AM »
I've bought a PCE Duo and TurboDuo with working HuCard slots, but non-working CD drives for around $40 each. Working PCE Duo systems (all models) can often be found on eBay for around $100, so I wouldn't pay much for a broken one.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

BlueBMW

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:30:40 AM »
I should note that when I pay $80 for a system Im buying it knowing I can fix it :P
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

bartre

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:18:06 PM »
yeah, i was planning on getting some high quality caps to replace the stock ones, as well as replacing the laser.
are there any other things i should be on the lookout for, as far as repairs?

and i'm getting that the "cap" unless i'm 100% sure i can fix it is probably $50, but that would require a nice looking system

GohanX

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 06:07:51 AM »
I would also say $50, maybe  a little more if the thing is in really great physical condition, or has the box, or comes with stuff, etc.