Author Topic: Turbo Duo on a LCD TV  (Read 334 times)

Keith Courage

Turbo Duo on a LCD TV
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »
I was wondering if anyone else has ever had trouble with this but I always have some fuzzy lines in the screen if I hook up my Turbo Duo to my 42 inch HP LCD TV where as my older 36 inch Sony trinitron CRT TV looks great and crystal clear. I have tested on some friends LCD TVs and about 50% of them have the same issue. Anyone know why? I am just curious.

Oh I have also tried out other video cables and AC adapters so that isn't the problem either.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:01:51 AM by Keith Courage »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Turbo Duo on a LCD TV
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »
Some LCDs have better upscalers than others, though they all suck when compared to a good CRT.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:21:08 AM »
Yeah, that could be it. My LCD is about 4 years old so maybe things have been improved on newer TV sets as far as that goes.

Bernie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »
I run mine through a 50 inch LG LCD and it looks great.  :) 

BlueBMW

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »
Anytime you run a low resolution console on a hidef tv, you ll get dizzies and artifacts etc.... the best solution I've seen was using an rgb modded duo r via an xrgb2+ via a standalone scanline generator... looked absolutely awesome... 
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
i run my duo on a 50" NEC plasma, up-scaling through a radion all in wonder

snow Crash

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 07:16:16 AM »
As necromancer said it's due to how the tv up-scales the picture to it's native resolution. Some are hugely different and it's fairly random which tv's have good ones as far as i can tell.

Once I've finished the RGB mod on my PC engine i plan on connecting it to a pc monitor via a sync stripper and the a Gonbes up-scaler. This setup should produce similar results to XRGB that BlueBMW mentioned, but be much much cheaper.

Is your duo rgb modded? You'd probably get better quality if it were. From what I've heard the pc engine/duo outputs a signal that isn't liked much by most modern equipment, so I'd think a dedicated up-scaler is the best route with this console.

I've tried the gonbes out with some other consoles and the result is pretty good on all of them. So it might be worth getting one of these if you have a lot of consoles you use one modern (LCD) equipment.

Keith Courage

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 07:51:46 AM »
Well I have a room dedicated to my games and in there I use my big Sony CRT TV so no issues there. I was just wondering why there were issues with LCD TVs. I might end up having to get one someday for my gaming room if my CRT takes a big dump. Then again, I may just go the cheap route and get another used large CRT since everyone wants to get rid of them due to their size and weight.

snow Crash

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »
I think the difference between LCD's boils down to what math they use to convert the image. Better math requires better hardware to run it and therefore costs more and may require liscence for the code. It's kind of like how you get HQx4 or other up-scale effects in an emulator. At the moment some manufactures see the up-scaling as an important feature and invest in it, some don't so much. As time goes on the hardware will become cheaper, but the interest in non HD will decrease. So stockpiling CRTs, if you've got the space, would be a good idea. Otherwise get a good stand alone up-scaler.

I've seen videos on YouTube where they use a scan-line generator in conjunction with the up-scaler, which goes a long way to re-creating the look of a CRT. But ultimately the best picture you get on an LCD is the best re-construction of a crt any way.

phipscube

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 08:06:07 AM »
I recently bought a GBS 8220 for use on my Neo Geo AES. I also bought an SLG3000 Scanline generator (approx 50 Euros, plugs between the output of the GBS and TV and draws power from the VGA plug). Together they make a really authentic looking image on an LCD TV. The only problem I see is that at low res (640x480) which works best for the scanline generator, the GBS flickers and screen tears occasionally, it works much better at 1024 x 768 but then the scan lines are much narrower and don't look as "real". There seems to be a connector for flashing the GBS unit, so hopefully in the future some newer firmware will address the issues, but overall right now its worth the very cheap price. I have a PC Engine GT at the moment, but plan to get a Duo soon and I want to get a sync stripper for the RGBS input of the GBS then I can have the Neo and Duo running with that lovely authentic look :)

Here's a nice website to get stuff from, I got my SLG3000 from here: -

http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteurope.de/xtcmodified/index.php