Author Topic: what to do with my turbob  (Read 340 times)

bartre

what to do with my turbob
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:41:35 AM »
well, got another turbo card only system.
thing is, the RF is picky at best, as the plug has to be in just the right position to work
what is my best option?
so far i'm thinking:
1. deal
2. A/V mod
3. try to fix it (not really sure how)
4. get a turbobooster/turbobooster plus
5. component a/v mod (no freaking clue how to do it, but it would be nice.)

any advice/ideas?

roflmao

Re: what to do with my turbob
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:23:15 AM »
I think there's a thread here somewhere that shows how to hack one end of some RCA cables to plug into the pins where the TurboBooster goes.  I've been meaning to try it out, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  That would likely give you a superior picture and doesn't cost much to put together (especially if you have an extra RCA cable laying around).

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »
I would buy some AV RCA jacks from radio shack. They should be 3.99 for a pack of 4 that screw onto your case. You will have to drill out the 3 holes needed. Inside your turbografx you will find that on one of the sides there is a good deal of room to fit them(opposite side of the RF out). Then you can solder in the cables to the pin out portion of the motherboard. Check out this chart here http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/pce/rgb.htm. The only cables you will have to run are for the composite sync C22(video), Right channel audio A1, and Left Channel Audio C1. Then just run the ground of each one to a ground on the motherboard. Those big larger circles of solder next to the pinout work just fine for that.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this I am sure some people here including myself would be willing to do the job for a small fee :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:01:27 AM by Keith Courage »

GohanX

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:02:04 AM »
Yup, I vote for the AV mod as well. It's really easy, even for a soldering noob, the hard part is drilling the AV jacks straight (a skill that I haven't quite mastered.)

bartre

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:10:11 AM »
I would buy some AV RCA jacks from radio shack. They should be 3.99 for a pack of 4 that screw onto your case. You will have to drill out the 3 holes needed. Inside your turbografx you will find that on one of the sides there is a good deal of room to fit them(opposite side of the RF out). Then you can solder in the cables to the pin out portion of the motherboard. Check out this chart here http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/pce/rgb.htm. The only cables you will have to run are for the composite sync C22(video), Right channel audio A1, and Left Channel Audio C1. Then just run the ground of each one to a ground on the motherboard. Those big larger circles of solder next to the pinout work just fine for that.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this I am sure some people here including myself would be willing to do the job for a small fee :)

yeah, i could easily do that, but my thought is, if i can, why not upstep it to the component?
well, other than the fact that i have no idea how.

GohanX

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:47:08 AM »
Component is a bit harder. The oversimplified way of doing it is that you'd need to tap the RGB lines, and run them through a RGB to YUV transcoder, and possibly build an amp due to the system's weak RGB. Definately doable, though!

Alternatively, you could use an external RGB SCART to YUV converter, then do an RGB mod to the TurboGrafx. You wouldn't have to try to cram everything into the TG16's shell, and you could use the external converter with other systems you may have. This is what I do with my Duo R, and what I hope to eventually do with my 16.

RR1980

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:57:54 PM »
or maybe get a cdromrom docking station and get av out from that kinda like how you can use the IFU to get AV out with a white pce?

ApolloBoy

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 06:32:48 PM »
or maybe get a cdromrom docking station and get av out from that kinda like how you can use the IFU to get AV out with a white pce?
You could, but it would most likely cost you more than modding it or making your own AV cables. I don't remember what exactly the going price for TG-CD docks was, but I can't imagine it being all that cheap.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

nat

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »
I think there's a thread here somewhere that shows how to hack one end of some RCA cables to plug into the pins where the TurboBooster goes.  I've been meaning to try it out, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  That would likely give you a superior picture and doesn't cost much to put together (especially if you have an extra RCA cable laying around).

This is my vote as the easiest and cheapest method. Just tap the correct pins on the rear expansion socket for composite video, left audio and right audio and you essentially have a "free" A/V mod in 10 minutes or less. I did this to my original TG-16 when I was in high school and used it that way for years.