Author Topic: WTB: Region modded Duo-R  (Read 213 times)

A_Locomotive

WTB: Region modded Duo-R
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:04:43 AM »
Hey there everyone. :) I'm looking to in the near future buy a PC Engine Duo-R that has been region modded. That way I can kill two birds with one stone and gain access to the CR games and so I don't need to pass on Japanese HuCards when I come across them for sale or trade. I've wanted to get into a Duo ever since I first actually found out about them not long after I got my TG16. I recently had a run in on craigslist with an unfortunately busted TurboGrafx-CD and that rekindled my desire to track one of these awesome systems down. I'm hoping to possibly get a boxed unit, box condition doesn't need to be mint(nor am I absolutely against buying with out the box) but it would be nice to have for storage reasons and to look pretty amongst my other boxed consoles. As for the conition of the Duo-R itself obviously I want the best possibly condition I can get. :) So if you have one for sale please hit me up and hopefully we can work something out. I know you might be a little leary since I just joined but I assure you I am a trust worthy person, you can check out my user feedback thread on AtariAge http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/179727-a-locomotive/ and I can provide you with my ebay account name if you'd like and wish to check that as well. :)

RR1980

Re: WTB: Region modded Duo-R
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 02:31:07 AM »
hmm what happened on craigslist? We love to hear stories like that!

GohanX

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 06:41:52 AM »
I think we convinced him that $300 was too much for a modded Duo R. Oops!

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »
However, thats the going rate for em on ebay at least.

SMF

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »
 ](*,) NOOOOOOO YOU USED EBAY AS A PRICE GUIDE.....................
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

A_Locomotive

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »
hmm what happened on craigslist? We love to hear stories like that!

Well a guy made a posting for a TurboGrafx-16 with the CD attachment and a couple of games. I asked for photos but for some reason never sent them but invited me to come see it in person since I wasn't to far from him. So I drove over and checked it out. The TG16 he had was in ok condition, no better then mine so I didn't really care about that and the titles he had were all sports titles(which atm I have zero interest in) + a sealed but beat to hell copy of Bonk. The CD add on was also pretty beat  cosmetically but there was no major damage beyond a few deep gouges in the plastic, it also came with the plastic carrying case which needed desperately to be cleaned(there was some gunk inside of it that looks like it would be sticky) but was in decent shape(better then the console in fact lol). I asked how much he'd want for just the CD attachment as I was hoping I could fix it since he had claimed in the listing he thought it was only the gears at fault and probably an easy fix. When I inquired about this he then all of a sudden claimed he didn't know if it could be repaired. Which raised red flags for me, at first I'd assumed he just got bored with it and was selling because he was to lazy to fix it. But once he said that it made me suspicious that he had tried and failed. I assumed this as he had an extremely impressive console collection in his house(Neo-Geo AES, Jaguar+CD, 1st and 2nd gen Sega Genesis + corresponding CD add ons, Master System, 3D0 and many many more, several I didn't even recognize) and I can't believe he wouldn't have tried. I decided that I'd still take a gamble on it if he would sell it cheap since worse comes to worse I could sell it for parts and hopefully recover my money. So I asked what he'd take for just the CD add on(he wanted $200 for the whole lot) and he said $120 which obviously isn't gonna happen for a busted system so I tried talking him down and the lowest he'd go was $80 which as far as I'm concerned is crazy so I left, he has relisted a couple of times, I'm guessing he hasn't found a sucker yet. :P

Haha partially. I'm honestly still tempted by the one I was looking at simply because It would be much less trouble to buy and I wouldn't need to worry about any issues with language barriers with the listings on yahoo auctions(babel fish and google translate can only do so much) or if there was an issue with it not working properly or not being in the condition described it would be much easier to get sorted since the guy is a member of this forum. Not to mention shipping, It wouldn't be traveling anywhere near as far so I'd imagine there is less chance for it to get damaged in shipping. He also has non-modded ones which I'm thinking of getting now, for $235 shipped which saves quite a bit of money for games. BUT I must say the region mod is still tempting, it would be nice to just press a button and not have to set up my TG16 to play US HuCards, not to mention storage, if I got the modded one I could pass on my TG16 for another to enjoy and get all my PC Engine/TG16 joy from one console. :P