Author Topic: TurboGrafx-16 CD: disk does not spin  (Read 275 times)

liwer

TurboGrafx-16 CD: disk does not spin
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:24:18 AM »
Hello friends,

This is my first post on this great forum.

I have a TG-16 CD to stop working, we change the laser, too clean, but the disc does not spin, as I have read is common this problem, that over the years stops working without explanation.

Have a solution this problem?

Thanks.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: TurboGrafx-16 CD: disk does not spin
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 02:50:26 AM »
When you press run, does it at least say "Loading..."

or does it keep saying "please set disc"

??

look at the gears inside your CD unit.  Do they look healthy?

I've had my TGCD simply get stuck.  All I have to do is unstick it from inside, and add some lubricant to prevent it.

Or, i can smack it really hard on the side of it until it starts moving...
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

WayneDoodle

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
Hello all!
Going through my old stuff at my parents house I came across my old Turbografx 16 and CD.  I recalled the last time my brother and I used the Turbo CD was our freshman year in the dorm room playing the CD unit as a stand alone cd player to play our audio CD's (Nirvana Unplugged was still in the CD player -cool!).  One day the CD player stopped spinning so we packed it up.  4 years later our roommate said he had a turbo so we brought the Turbografx back to college and started to play our games again but we never got the CD unit to work. 

A couple of days ago I took the CD unit apart to see what was wrong.  Sure enough, after reading through this board and looking at my gears, the middle beige gear was stripped 3/4 of the way around; DANGIT!

Could anyone tell me if there are any solutions, or the older board members could tell how to fix my poor turbo-CD with a replacement gear? I've seen the mods and some discussion of cheap replacement gears but I'm not technically confident I could change something like this.

I plugged my Turbografx-16 to see if it worked and she had no problem. 

Thanks in advance guys!

Dave

BlueBMW

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:00:25 PM »
The easiest gear replacement solution is made by the user chop5.  He might be out of them right now, but I'm sure he'll get more in soon.  Theyre brass gears that replace both that middle gear and the one on the motor.  They're easy enough to drop in without even having to take the laser mechanism out of the lid of the cdrom2.

Alternately, user Keith Courage has a single gear that replaces the motor gear and requires the middle gear / post be removed and the motor's wiring polarity to be reversed.  Its a little more work to install, but does get the job done.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

MotherGunner

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
Dave, welcome.  Listen to Beemer and good luck on the repairs.  Btw, I like how you call your TG "she".   Lol
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)