Author Topic: MY Custom PCE GT  (Read 1549 times)

Shrapnoid

Re: MY Custom PCE GT
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2012, 03:19:03 AM »
Shrapnoid, It makes no difference that they run on a lower voltage as long as they work just fine, and whats wrong with longer play time?  Once you use a ac adapter you ruin the concept of portability.  The idea is to get the best batteries you can for a reasonable amount of money to use the system on the go.  Rechargables are so cheap, how many regular batteries are you gonna buy before your wasting money? Not all batteries are made the same either. rayovac alkalines perform at about 3/4 of what a duracell can do according to consumer reports this year. If you were gonna go that route, why not buy a set of lithiums. In high drain devices they can last 5x longer than alkalines. then again, you buy two sets of those and you could already have a nice set of rechargables.  I bought a set of family dollar alkalines and put them in my GT and 45 minutes later they puked. I bought a set of Duracells and they lasted 4 hours.

Wait a minute here. I never said that longer play time was a bad thing. I was simply pointing out the advantages vs the disadvantages between rechargeable and alkaline.

The situation is what do you consider to be more important? Play time or performance? Now, there was a rachargeable alkaline some years ago that Rayovac made but, then suddenly dropped after a short time. I had a few of those and they were okay.

I now use the IC-3 types which are also discontinued but, seem to provide a good balance of voltage and amperage even though they are rated at only 1.2 volts each where alks are rated at 1.5v.

Another good rechargeable are those precharged green and silver Rayovacs that can last for up to 6 months in some devices before needing to be charged up again.

Also while similar in what they sale, Family Dollar is *not* Dollar General. I can slap 4 DG alk batts in an XMODS R/C and get up to an hour or more of running time at high speeds where any other cheap-based battery will barely even turn the diff.

As for suggesting an adapter, I meant for when you're just sitting around the house.

Another thing that you could try since you don't seem to mind modding your GT is to drop by RadioShack and check out their selection of rechargeable packs that could be wired up in parallel to generate twice the playing time you'd get out of whatever rechargeable you're planning on while maintaining the same voltage so, as not to fry your system.

Not criticizing your methods. Just trying to help out is all.      

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:23:04 AM by Shrapnoid »

soop

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2012, 03:42:12 AM »
My vote goes to Eneloop.  I spent a bit on a set of 12 AAs and 4 AAAs, and I absolutely love them.  Might buy some more triple A's too.

They consistently last 4-6 hours (I don't really keep count, but seeing as lunch and bus are around an hour, it gives me a fair idea), and they've gradually snuck into all my devices.  I use them for the 4 GBAs/GBCs I take out regularly, my wireless keyboards, Wiimotes, arcade stick... And the 2500MaH duracell rechargeables I bought for about £12 are crap in comparison.

Eneloops get charged when they die, and then sit in a drawer ready to be grabbed up for instant power.  The f*cking rock.

Oh, nice GT BTW :D  I don't think I could take a knife to one though.

io

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2012, 04:12:05 AM »
I'm a pro Eneloop user for years now.
I recently bought for 83 € (with shipping) for 32 Eneloop (AAA 750 and 550 mAh and AA 2400 and 1900 mAh, 8 of each) at nkon.nl.

Yes, those batteries rock because they age very well (the first 8 I bought years ago are still "keeping the charge" like before) and they stay charged even if you don't use it for a long period.

My previous branded rechargeable batteries (Energizer, Duracell, ...) are really piece of crap compared to Eneloop.

Advice : Use a slow charger with rechargeable batteries, don't buy fast charger if you want them to live longer.

xelement5x

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2012, 04:16:40 AM »
A third vote for Eneloops here, I've also had some I've been using pretty regularly for the last 4 years and they're still running like champs.  Like most people mentioned, they have a huge benefit in the ability to charge them and store them, without worrying about the charge degrading over a couple months.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

thesteve

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2012, 05:59:09 AM »
i use Eneloops and energisers with good results.
the express/GT wont be hurt by the lower voltage, as it uses a linear regulator that (wastes) anything above the 5V required to run the system.
the slow VS fast charger depends on the build of the battery and charger, some wont/cant charge properly fast.

HercTNT

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »
Shrapnoid, you are talking about the batteries performance in general. I'm talking about their performance in a Pc engine GT.  Not all batteries are made the same quality. its nice that ray-o-vacs can go for six months without recharging, but thats in a wireless keyboard or mouse, not a high drain device like a GT.  Lithiums will destory all other batteries in high drain devices, but cost alot of money, and cant be recharged. High end Ni-Mhs will not always out perform Quality alkalines, but get very close, and can be recharged. The reason people in these forums use quality rechargables in thier Gt's is because they know what they will get if they use cheap batteries.  Dont take my word for it, look it up in consumer reports. Walmart alkalines will get you 133 pictures out of a digital camera. Duracell coppertops will get you 290. Duracell lithiums will get you 1099. So, it all boils down to price. Now i ask you, would you rather pay $25 for a top rated set of eneloops with charger, that will last you atleast 5 years, or do you want to spend the next 5 years buying dollar store batteries? I have no problem with your opinion and you can use whatever you want, but you will find that most people that own one of these devices understand that rechargables are the way to go, good rechargables.

thesteve

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
I did it, i made the internal encoder run
http://pcengine.freeforums.org/express-gt-composite-t179.html

frozenintears

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
this thread is WIN!!! great job you freakin genius!!!

soop

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »

So what was it running before, RGB?  Hmm, I guess it makes sense.

I guess this should be possible to mod on a white PCE then?

*edit* and wait, how come we have a whole other forum with the same people on it?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:40:58 PM by soop »

thesteve

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2012, 01:18:31 AM »
the second forum was made when this one went down.
yes it was RGB only

roflmao

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2012, 03:51:59 AM »
Holy cow!  That's amazing stuff, thesteve!

csgx1

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2012, 07:14:48 AM »
Wow, that's awesome! Great job!

sirhcman

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2012, 07:14:09 AM »

Steve you are da man!!! That is great!

Duo_R

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2012, 05:27:31 PM »
Bump! =)

Pics or it didn't happen!!

Just kidding :wink:
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

HercTNT

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »
there is one of here around here somewhere holding my custom gt that steve put together.  she hates having her picture taken and looks irritated :)