Author Topic: iPhone composite out  (Read 303 times)

futureman2000

iPhone composite out
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »
Soooo, I bought a composite out cable intending to use with an iPhone 4 and a tv. The phone said that the device isn't supported. Apparently there needs to be some kind of chip in the cable. I have a hard time finding sensible discussion about apple products on the internet, so I thought maybe someone here know of a workaround. It's pretty frustrating, because I checked the pinout and saw composite video was on there, so I bought a cable. I didn't think the obvious "apple probably makes the cheap solution impossible".
Take off yer flip flops and set up the tripod: it's bag kickin' time!

SignOfZeta

Re: iPhone composite out
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:17:35 PM »
It's likely that the cable only works with certain models of iPhone or iPod. (Maybe the briefly sold model known as the iPod Photo?)

A similar situation: there was a composite cable for the series 2000 PSP but I only would show the XMB, photos, and the MP3 player. It wouldn't show games or movies for some reason.

All the cables I've used with my iPhone 4 were component only, and even then they only work with progressive scan. Im pretty sure the iPhone 4 can't do SD video at all. Is this a first party cable, and did you buy it new? Compatible models should have been listed on the package.

futureman2000

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »
It was super 3rd party, delivered from shenzhen. That's probably right about no sd video- I don't know that I specified iPhone 4 when I was looking up the pinout. I guess the good news is that I'm only out $5.
Take off yer flip flops and set up the tripod: it's bag kickin' time!

nectarsis

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »
via wiki (in this case I think it's accurate).

PSP format games are output as a progressive scan signal, which can be carried only by the Component and D-Terminal cables, and displayed on televisions which support progressive scan. They are also rendered at the 480 × 272 resolution of the PSP screen, rather than the 720 × 480 resolution used for output, and are not upscaled meaning they are displayed with black windowboxing when viewed to an external display. This can be overcome on some TVs by using built-in zoom functionality. However, the PSP system software, music player and video playback are displayed in full-screen. As of firmware update 5.00, PlayStation (PSone) format software purchased from the PlayStation store is output in full-screen mode and optionally in interlaced format for non-progressive displays. Although the user needs component cables and a TV that supports 480p (mainly found in HDTVs) to play PSP format software, a homebrew plugin called FuSa allows anyone with a Slim PSP to view their games on any SDTV or HDTV using Composite or Component cables.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

turbokon

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »
I recently picked a belkin one and works ok with my iPhone 4s
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 02:29:25 PM »
I recently picked a belkin one and works ok with my iPhone 4s

Composite or component?

via wiki (in this case I think it's accurate).

PSP format games are output as a progressive scan signal, which can be carried only by the Component and D-Terminal cables, and displayed on televisions which support progressive scan. They are also rendered at the 480 × 272 resolution of the PSP screen, rather than the 720 × 480 resolution used for output, and are not upscaled meaning they are displayed with black windowboxing when viewed to an external display. This can be overcome on some TVs by using built-in zoom functionality. However, the PSP system software, music player and video playback are displayed in full-screen. As of firmware update 5.00, PlayStation (PSone) format software purchased from the PlayStation store is output in full-screen mode and optionally in interlaced format for non-progressive displays. Although the user needs component cables and a TV that supports 480p (mainly found in HDTVs) to play PSP format software, a homebrew plugin called FuSa allows anyone with a Slim PSP to view their games on any SDTV or HDTV using Composite or Component cables.

I remember this. I bought a PSP 2000 and a component cable and I was a bit disappointed that it only did progressive scan because I didn't have a TV that could do it at the time. Then the 3000 came out soon after which could to interlaced video. Then the software update came out that retroactively granted this feature to the 2000 making me wonder why the hell it didn't do it in the first place.

In the end I rarely use this feature since the output is pretty terrible compared to the built in screen.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »
Sorry, duplicate post.

turbokon

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 03:25:27 AM »
Composite. I used it to plug my iPhone to a projector for movie nights over the weekend in our back yard.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

spenoza

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 12:31:29 PM »
Apple introduced what is, basically, video output DRM with iOS 4.x. You can no longer use the cheap, chip-free cables unless you have either an older device which doesn't support the security measures regardless of OS version or a more modern device running an older OS revision. Not sure why they did this, though I suppose it could be due to complaining from the MPAA and other rights groups about video content and ease of output. It does mean you have to get more expensive output cables, and I'm not sure if the more expensive cables do anything to make the video signal more "secure" from the standpoint of rights-holders. You may find, however, that there are a couple older apps that haven't been updated and still support video output from new iOS devices. Netflix, for example, took over a year to stop video output over chip-free cables. VLC would probably support it, if you could get it any more on the App Store. I have it in my backup but I haven't tested with it.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

RegalSin

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »
DRM on a wittle device = no video output threw composite ( yellow guy )?

So I am trying to think here, I can't have an Iphone and use it to watch television unless I use an expensive solution?

Can you downgrade the "OS" ?

I just want to make so, many Ijokes right now. But I can't find one to composite this situtation. People are stealing these things left to right, and it has DRM on it.