Author Topic: Bonk LARPG  (Read 212 times)

vestcoat

Bonk LARPG
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:03:46 AM »
As we know, the planned Bonk live-action game was never released, but rumors persist that development was well underway before TTI kicked the bucket. Well, this Spring I ran into a certain former editor of Game Designers' Workshop at Gary Con and he gave me the only remaining draft of the completed ruleset! Apparently TTI halted their in-house development and licensed the rights to GDW during their collaboration on Dangerous Journeys!

The rules are quite a trip, and include detailed effects for various candies, meats, and flowers, as well as amble warnings about real-life head butting, eating raw meat, and "vine" climbing. Playable pre-gens/NPCs include Bonk, King Drool, and Princess Za, of course, as well Punchy Pedro, Captain Cook, Zonk, Yamato Zonk, and Bird Bonk (interesting because Bird Bonk had not yet appeared in North American games). Character races include cavemen, various types of Chikkun, and Zaredfructus - the plant species that appear as flower traps in the video games.  Another substantial chapter is devoted to Zonk and how a GM can balance "technology" in a prehistoric setting. Sadly, the Cthulhu mythos was scrapped after talks with Chaosium fell through.

In addition to the 140-page, dot-matrix rules draft and a binder full of designer notes, I also received GDW's prototype "Barbarian Briefs", a chainmail bikini, and a badly disintegrating prosthetic Bonk headpiece.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get permission from Aaron.

TheClash603

Re: Bonk LARPG
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »
Haha.

Now we should all put our nuts in the Bonk BOE guy's mouth.

rjardina

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:06:59 AM »
Haha.

present them, way to ruin a topic by bringing me into it.

'Bird Bonk' is not the correct name it's 'Fester Bonk'

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:15:12 AM »
no shit you were at gary con too?  small f*cking world.

KingDrool

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:21:11 AM »
Haha.

present them, way to ruin a topic by bringing me into it.

'Bird Bonk' is not the correct name it's 'Fester Bonk'

Case closed. Thick as a brick.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

esteban

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:04:25 AM »
Vestcoat included most of the relevant details, but forgot to mention that prosthetic ears, claws and tails were being developed by third-parties (MadKatz, Galoob and Tomy).

|    |