Author Topic: Duo, CD drive only works when top cover is off. Resolved!! Region switch  (Read 331 times)

Keith Courage

This is the weirdest thing. I am working on a DUO where the CD drive only works when the top cover is off. At first I thought this was only an issue with CDRs but it also does the same with regular Discs. I have tired so many adjustments and also tried a new lens, capacitors etc... Has anyone ever encountered this before? CD lens just reads forever and won't load anything when the top is on. Remove the lid and it loads right away like there is nothing wrong.  

Oh and to clarify. When I mean top I mean the entire DUO top cover. Not just the part that goes over the lens assembly.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:50:56 AM by Keith Courage »

snow Crash

Re: Duo system, CD drive only works when top cover is off
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »
that certainly is odd. I've never had this with a console before and have never been inside a duo.

Things i can think of are: earth, stuff from this era has tons of probably un-necessary earth points, maybe something presses against one with the top on? If the screws have been in and out loads might be some damage next to one allowing a track to come into contact with a screw when in it is in. ( is it when the top is screwed down or just placed on btw?) Something having warped slightly either the board or the case. ( disc still spinning ok?) Trapped wires? bad feng-shui?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:38:33 AM »
bad feng-shui?

That's what I'd bet on.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

turbokon

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »
Yeah, checks for wires or anything that my be pushing up against it.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 06:45:40 PM »
i have seen it
it was a wire pinned on the drive shocks (rubber pieces)
it was pushing it off center causing it to bind.
try it with the lid up and cover on.

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 09:17:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I finally found the issue after about 6 hours and it had to do with the region mod someone had installed prior. The way the wires were run was creating some kind of interference of some sort. There are definitely no bare spots on the wires used. If I move the wires to a different place above the board it works fine again.

snow Crash

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:16:47 PM »
Good to hear! Just wondering if maybe the solder joints on those wires might've come a bit loose also?

Keith Courage

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
No loose wires at all. I even rewired it and the same thing happened. So to anyone putting in a 8pdt switch make sure to mount it closer to the power jack and not the CD drive assembly. The wires end up passing over something that causes issues over there.  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:20:32 PM by Keith Courage »

pceslayer

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 05:49:03 AM »
Try taking off the plastic sled cover and closing it up.

Keith Courage

The problem wasn't the sled cover. It was actually the wires from the region switch causing interference with the CD drive itself somehow. When the lid was off the wires were held up and away from the motherboard. Here is a pic. The red is where the switch wires were originally run which gave the issues. I made a new hole and rerouted to the blue lines.  Since I discovered the problem on that duo I have also come across two other Duos that had  the same problem. So to anyone installing a 8DPT switch in a DUO make sure not to run the wires over the 3 Oki IC chips near the CD drive. I believe that is where the problem was.

Duo_R

That is strange never heard of that. But i normally put the switch near the AV port on Duos.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

thesteve

i have seen that once
the issue was the wires were moving and interfering with the top cover where it contacts the rubber cd drive mounts