Author Topic: So I ask the people under Twenty Five, about arcades.  (Read 770 times)

futureman2000

Re: So I ask the people under Twenty Five, about arcades.
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 06:26:33 AM »
I wanted to mention Dave & Busters - how is it that they can have such a huge space, and only ~2 decent cabinets?
Take off yer flip flops and set up the tripod: it's bag kickin' time!

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:01 AM »
I was in Vegas over the weekend and spent quite a bit of time at the Pinball Hall of Fame. Not sure how many pinball fans there are on here, but it must be one of the better places in the world to play. With over 150 tables from all eras, you can find pretty much anything you like. There are also around 50 classic arcade games to enjoy, although some of them are out of order at times. I played a lot of Gorf, Wacko, Tron and Defender, some of my favorite cabinets to play.

http://www.pinballmuseum.org/games.php

The people there are friendly and helpful, and all of the profits go to charity, so you can feel good about dropping a few dozen quarters into the machines. Most of the really old tables are 25 cents, most 90's-era games are 50, and the newer games are 75 cents, many with 5-ball games, so it's a good deal. And it seems like the games are set so that extra balls and extra credits are easy to achieve. For example I ended up getting three extra credits playing Roller Coaster Tycoon with one credit to start, which is a total of 20 balls for 75 cents, and I'm no where near a good pinball player. Definitely worth checking out if you are in Vegas even if it is a bit off the strip. And get some lunch/dinner at Sammy's, one of the best places to eat in Vegas just down the street! Here's a pic I took of some of the old tables:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:31:52 AM by Samurai Ghost »

soop

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »
You'd feel bad about performing a death save.

DrBread

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 06:15:08 AM »
I'm 18 and when i was little the only types of arcade games were at the movies and they weren't even too good.
So yeah within my lifetime i have never experienced a real arcade.

About a year ago there was a real arcade around where i live called Richie Knucklez but it closed down because of lack of business. Never got to go cause i never had time.
I really like video games...

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 07:56:43 AM »
I'm about to be 21 & sadly, I have never experienced the shady arcades you guys speak of so fondly. Hell, I doubt I've ever been to any kind of real arcade.

A few of the roller skating rinks I used to frequent when I was younger had somewhat decent arcades, but it's been a number of years since I've been to any of those places.  The closest thing to a "real" arcade I've ever been to was a place in some mall in Louisiana that I can't remember the name of.  It was obviously a more kid-friendly place, but they had quite a few cabinets.  It was predominantly redemption games, though. 

I also used to pop into the FYE arcade at the mall here but, again, mostly redemption games.  They did have Tekken and Soul Calibur, though, which were mainly what I played in there.  That entire FYE closed down recently though.  There is a Dave & Busters there as well, but it's full of drunk idiots most of the time so I try to steer clear.  They did have Donkey Kong & Galaga, though...that's about it for their actual cabinets, though.  Everything else is either a light gun game, newer sit-down racing game, or redemption, redemption, redemption.
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »
I was in Vegas over the weekend and spent quite a bit of time at the Pinball Hall of Fame. Not sure how many pinball fans there are on here, but it must be one of the better places in the world to play. With over 150 tables from all eras, you can find pretty much anything you like. There are also around 50 classic arcade games to enjoy, although some of them are out of order at times. I played a lot of Gorf, Wacko, Tron and Defender, some of my favorite cabinets to play.

http://www.pinballmuseum.org/games.php

The people there are friendly and helpful, and all of the profits go to charity, so you can feel good about dropping a few dozen quarters into the machines. Most of the really old tables are 25 cents, most 90's-era games are 50, and the newer games are 75 cents, many with 5-ball games, so it's a good deal. And it seems like the games are set so that extra balls and extra credits are easy to achieve. For example I ended up getting three extra credits playing Roller Coaster Tycoon with one credit to start, which is a total of 20 balls for 75 cents, and I'm no where near a good pinball player. Definitely worth checking out if you are in Vegas even if it is a bit off the strip. And get some lunch/dinner at Sammy's, one of the best places to eat in Vegas just down the street! Here's a pic I took of some of the old tables:

The last time I was in Vegas was 6 years ago. In the morning rush hour, cars were honking at me. Hmmmmmm....

The gas nozzle + tube was hanging from the U-Haul I was driving.

Ha!

If only I had stopped at the Pinball Museum! I would have been much happier.

|    |