Author Topic: cdrom2 lasers keep dying  (Read 370 times)

snow Crash

cdrom2 lasers keep dying
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:57:07 AM »
So, i'm on my third laser in my cdrom 2 (white Japan model) in as many weeks. The first 2 where old units salvaged from a walkman and another cdrom2 unit, so I figured it was, perhaps, just thier time to go. However, after getting a brand new laser from BlueBMW (delivered very quickly might I add), this to has died. This leads me to think that the cdrom2 itself might have a fault that is killing the lasers or the pots are so out of whack that the laser's over-volting or something similar.

The scenario so far has been; once the new laser is installed it works OK, but, audio tracks cut out after a few seconds. I've adjusted the pot slightly and the problem will be temporarily resolved, then the laser dies.

I only have one laser from BlueBMW left now, so if anyone's got any suggestions I'd be very appreciative.

BlueBMW

Re: cdrom2 lasers keep dying
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:53:45 AM »
Hmmm, ill bet steve can chime in on this one.  Let me know if you need more lasers.  Its possible you just got a bad one.  Though theyre new, they are old so defects are possible.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

snow Crash

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:27:09 AM »

Thanks BlueBMW, hopefully I shall not need any more but, I guess I probably will :( . I Think it is unlikely that the one you sent me would die in exactly the same way as the others if there wasn't a reason for it.

Here's what the pots are set at at the moment. I spent ages adjusting them so the tracks wouldn't skip. Does anything look too extreme? If anyone has a KS-225A in there cd rom 2 and could take a picture of their settings that'd be excellent.

thesteve

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:34:44 AM »
your trims look right.
try removing and reinstalling the same laser.
often dead solder joints can cause faults that vanish when moved/disassembled, only to reappear later.

snow Crash

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
Ok, tried your suggestion Steve, but no luck, also tried re-installing a laser i previously thought was dead, just in case, also dead. I'll try the other new laser from BlueBMW tomorrow,but i'm wary of the same thing happening. :(

BlueBMW

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »
Ok, tried your suggestion Steve, but no luck, also tried re-installing a laser i previously thought was dead, just in case, also dead. I'll try the other new laser from BlueBMW tomorrow,but i'm wary of the same thing happening. :(

Well I've got tons more, so if it blows another then we will know for sure that its something in the CDROM2 doing it.  If not, then we know we got a bad new laser and I'll send you another one or refund you for that one.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »
with the lid up does the laser turn off (had a bad chip that wouldnt)

snow Crash

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:27:56 AM »
with the lid up does the laser turn off (had a bad chip that wouldnt)
Nope, this has never happened.

OOOOOOOOOOkay, put the new laser in and nothing happens at all. It's dead. Only get the led display and that's it, laser doesn't light, or move. I've been checking it and removing it and re-installing it over and over again. So I'm guessing I should give up on it now.

BlueBMW

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »
Ill assume your gears are working good?

thesteve

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »
if you push the laser sled to the edge does it return to center when you hit play?

snow Crash

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:14:16 AM »
Ill assume your gears are working good?
Yup, new replacements from Chop5
if you push the laser sled to the edge does it return to center when you hit play?

Nope. Nothing.

Going to swap the main-board from a smashed up cdrom2 unit into this one to see what happens. I think that board is ok.

snow Crash

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »
Okay, the other board exhibits the same behaviour. So, maybe it is the laser. Am I really that unlucky?  :-k

thesteve

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »
its the gears if it didnt center