Author Topic: Bonk III HuCard - did you buy it new? & did it come with a manual?  (Read 350 times)

Lost Monkey

Bonk III HuCard - did you buy it new? & did it come with a manual?
« on: September 08, 2012, 04:39:20 AM »
I bought mine new and it did not come with an English manual - just a French "poster" version of the manual.  I bought mine at Radio Shack in Canada.  At the time I would have tried exchanging it, but it was the only copy in the city.

nodtveidt

Re: Bonk III HuCard - did you buy it new? & did it come with a manual?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 05:49:16 AM »
I bought it new in a store when it was actually new, and it came with a proper English manual.

vestcoat

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:26:57 AM »
Very interesting.

Lost Monkey - I've never heard about anyone else owning the Bonk 3 French "poster" manual; it seems to be a very rare item. To my knowledge, Canadian games usually came with two manuals - one French and one English. Out of the half dozen new Canadian Turbochips I've opened, earlier Turbochips came with full-color versions of each, while later games, like Darkwing Duck, came with the normal English manual and a French poster manual. After opening Darkwing, I assumed all of the Canadian plastic-tray Turbochips were packed the same way. I guess I was wrong

My Bonk 3 poster came with a used copy on ebay. I assumed the owner lost the English manual, but maybe it never came with one, like yours. Anyway, the Bonk 3 Turbochip English manual is well-documented and a lot of us own a copy. I guess the Canadian release just got hosed in the manual department.

Rover - were you living in Canada or where did you get yours?

Lost Monkey

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:57:57 AM »
Just to follow up and confirm what vestcoat addeed:

a few other TTI games I bought new (Canadian releases):

Legend of Hero Tonma - came with full colour English manual and B&W French "poster"
Air Zonk - came with full colour English manual and B&W French "poster"
New Adventure Island  - came with full colour English manual and B&W French "poster"

I checked a few "older" releases - TV Sports Hockey and Drop Off and both have full colour French manuals along with the English.

lkermel

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 09:26:48 AM »
This is interesting, are there French "posters" similar to the one I posted on Bomberman:

http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?bom

Scroll down, and click on the last pic form the 'Omake' section on the page.
If they are, then they are the instruction manuals that the company "Sodipeng" produced and included in every PC Engine game 'officially' imported in France. And I wouldn't be surprised if they found their way to Canada at some point :)
But no TTI game were imported in France though, only Japanese PC Engine games, so this is really interesting indeed...

vestcoat

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »
No, I've never seen anything like that Sodipeng manual. It's interesting though! It's hard to make a comparison from the Omake screenshot, but the production quality seems better on the TTI Canadian fold-outs: the paper is glossy, the fonts don't look like a typewriter, the b/w screenshots and pictures are clear and detailed. The posters also contain official TTI warranty information, so they certainly aren't third-party.

FYI, besides Darkwing and Bonk 3 fold-outs, I have full color French Canadian manuals for Ninja Spirit, Bloody Wolf, and maybe a couple more... I can't remember. I also have a French Ys I-II.

Anyone seen French manuals for Super CD games? Do they exist?

Lost Monkey

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »

Anyone seen French manuals for Super CD games? Do they exist?

I have a lot of Canadian SCD games and none have French manuals...  I don't think I would have thrown them out either, since most of them still have receipts tucked in the manuals...

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »
I remember the fold out French manuals in later releases. I did get a proper English Bonk III manual though. This was probably just a packaging error. I don't remember ever getting any French SCD manuals and I kept all of my proper Frebch manuals.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:52:23 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ooPo

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 02:44:23 AM »
I also have a Bonk 3 hucard with the french fold-out poster. It came in a box with a big DUO on it and the cheap plastic tray. I bought it used so I don't know if it was the complete package.

reno5

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 04:57:32 AM »
Got mine few weeks ago. It's loose but i'm happy to have it anyway :)