Author Topic: Just saved my Duo.. (Almost saved TE)  (Read 173 times)

CPU64

Just saved my Duo.. (Almost saved TE)
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
Hey guys, I've been eagerly waiting to be approved so I can come here and thank ALL of you who work so hard in helping the community to keep their consoles alive. I was one of those kids who wanted a Duo so bad when I was  in high school but just didn't have the cash.
Thanks to ebay a few years ago, I went like a hyped up kid in a candy store buying all the games I dreamed about.

My Duo has been faithful to me until a few days ago when it started flickering and the sound in Dracula x sounded like it was coming from a burger king drive-through order speaker. Thanks to the resources here, I found a suitable kit and replaced every cap in that bad boy. Now check out how healthy it looks!!

While I was waiting for my kit in the mail, I found a TE that I thought I could fix as well. Always wanted one but it they're all ridiculously priced, and there's the 99% chance that it will need work done anyway. So I got it and a kit the same day and went to work on it. Sound was restored but picture, not so much. Here's the finished board.

Like I said, sound came back, and so did the picture, just barely.
The picture was very dark, even though the back light turns on. And the brightness pot had no effect. It was like this for about 2 days. Today I got some fresh batteries and tried again after cleaning all contacts. The brightness started flickering and would stay on, then go away. I stayed normal for a bout an hour today and I played a few games. Then it just went back to its original dark self.

I was kinda disappointed especially after seeing some of you have TEs resurrected by simply replacing one cap. :(
I've checked the brightness pot, and I even tightened the pin, still nothing. Poor thing is on right now plugged in, trying to "cook" the caps to see if anything changes. I have no where else to try, so if any of you have any suggestions, PLEASE, I'm open. Meanwhile, I'll go play some lords of thunder!

Oh and yes, I am slightly OCD when it comes to soldering electronics. Everything needs to stand perfectly straight up, unless its impossible due to space. Initially I was going for OEM surface mount caps, but I couldn't find a "kit". ^_^

Duo_R

Re: Just saved my Duo.. (Almost saved TE)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »
You could simply have a bad screen
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq