Author Topic: The ghost of Sony  (Read 167 times)

Nando

The ghost of Sony
« on: November 13, 2012, 02:20:34 AM »
http://www.japansubculture.com/the-ghosts-of-sony/

By Jake Adelstein and Nathalie-Kyoko Stucky
In the beginning of this month, the overall Japanese electronics industry recorded billions in losses, “among the biggest in Japanese manufacturing history,” according to the Associated Press. Panasonic Corp. lost 698 billion yen (8.7 billion $ US) for the second quarter of the fiscal year, and its longtime rival Sony also  announced an annual loss of 457 billion yen (5.7 billion $ US) in its fourth straight year of red ink, Sony reported its fiscal results on November 1.

Japanese makers have struggled despite the popularity of smartphones, as the market has been dominated by American Apple Inc. and South Korean Samsung Electronic Co.

Japan Subculture Research Center investigated the human side of this shrinking Japanese electronics’ industry, once the world leader in electronics.

Opethian

Re: The ghost of Sony
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 02:48:16 AM »
I must admit Samsung makes better TVs than sony (no comment on panasonic) they also dont play games when it comes to warranty.

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

SuperDeadite

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
TV industry is the main drain on Sony's finances.  All they do is lose money on them.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
too many old bags are sitting on the tops for way too long.

f.e. sony's R&D developed a same touchpanel years before apple introduced them into the market. but because the old stinkers up on their thrones didn't see the practical benefit out of it at that time, the product didn't made it into the market and apple won.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Ji-L87

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »
Am I weird for not really liking the current styling of Sony producs, and miss the chunkier 80s/90s look?
(And I guess this isn't limited to only Sony either).

In all seriousness, my current TV is a Sony, but that's coincidence rather than an active choice. Somebody was selling a 32'' LCD locally and it had all the inputs I wanted, it just happened to be a Sony. It could've been a Samsung, LG or Sharp or pretty much whatever. I must say that I am very pleased with my Sony MP3 player but it wasn't an obvious choice, rather, I couldn't really find any of the other contenders I was considering in any actual stores around here.

f.e. sony's R&D developed a same touchpanel years before apple introduced them into the market. but because the old stinkers up on their thrones didn't see the practical benefit out of it at that time, the product didn't made it into the market and apple won.

Shame about that. Not a big touch-fan (tactile feedback for life, yo!) but I'd much rather see Sony making some success than Apple :p
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.