Author Topic: The future of translation - courtesy of Microsoft Research  (Read 228 times)

SuperPlay

The future of translation - courtesy of Microsoft Research
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »
The future of translation

Microsoft Research shows a promising new breakthrough in speech translation technology

http://blogs.technet.com/b/next/archive/2012/11/08/microsoft-research-shows-a-promising-new-breakthrough-in-speech-translation-technology.aspx#.UJ-VdIbRV6Y

turboswimbz

Re: The future of translation - courtesy of Microsoft Research
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:57:42 AM »
neat.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 03:56:42 AM »
Aside from the algorithmic improvements he meantioned (which I'm sure are significant) I'm having a hard time understanding what's so applause-worthy or new here.

My Mac (I'm only talking about Macs here because they are what I know, I'm not advocatting any OS so don't give me any shit for owning a Mac here) can already recognize my speach, translate that speach, and speak it in the new language...and this is just a current gen consumer product. It's not stitched together like this, but it does all those things, built into the OS, so I'm sure you could just write a script that does what was seen in this presentation. I assume Windows does the same thing.

Maybe they are just happy because he's doing the demo in/for Chinese?

SuperPlay

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 04:09:47 AM »
it is indeed the algorithmic improvements that are epic rather than the linkage.  Also the ability to include your voice style into the translated speech is a forward move (rather than bog standard computer voice playback).

Windows 7 has voice recognition included as stock which is not too bad.  However I am not sure if this inbuilt version can translate between languages like the mac can.

I am just overall impressed how speech recognition (and translation) has improved over the years.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »
That computer voice sounds nothing like that dude, IMO.

SuperPlay

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 08:23:31 AM »
Still an improvement of my first experience of speech ;-)

I managed to get hold of a copy of this app for the BBC Micro back in 1986/87. I was mesmerized at the time and spent hours just messing around.