Author Topic: Genesis controller on pc engine  (Read 243 times)

Keith Courage

Genesis controller on pc engine
« on: November 18, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »
It works! Now, before everyone gets all excited I didn't set the controller up to use all 6 buttons. That would have required much more work, parts etc.... Not to mention being one button short to still have a select button. What I did with this is set it up much like an Avenue 3 pad. The A and B buttons are II and I. Button C is an extra Start or Run button for those games that use 3 buttons. Then I made Y on the top row the select button as to make it much easier and faster to swap between Kicks and Punches in Street Fighter 2. Start is still Run obviously. I used this guide here and just changed what was needed for a Genesis controller http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/nes-to-pc-engine-controller-mod/

So basically if you have a 74LS157 IC you can make any game pad work on a PC engine or TG16. I only went with a Genesis pad cause it was cheap at goodwill.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:01:15 PM by Keith Courage »

nodtveidt

Re: Genesis controller on pc engine
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 02:33:43 AM »
Hah, that's pretty sweet dude. :)

fraggore

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:10:46 AM »
man that's pretty cool.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

roflmao

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
Awesome!

futureman2000

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
I'll bet one could use the 'mode' button for select
Take off yer flip flops and set up the tripod: it's bag kickin' time!

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »
you could use it for select but then there would be no button or switch left to change between 2 and 6 button mode. So like I said, anyone would be better off buying an avenue 6 pad then the amount of time needed to do a full 6 button conversion.

kazekirifx

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
The D-pad on the Genesis 6-button controller is sweet.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »
That d-pad and tall buttons seem perfect for our Pce's .. Great Genesis 6-button controller mod Mr Courage !!!  :dance:
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

NightWolve

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 01:23:27 PM »
Interesting. I came up with a similar type project myself BITD... When I was in my late teens in the 90's after I bought a Turbo Duo with an Avenue 6-button pad, I had an extra Duo pad left-over as a result and I came up with the idea of taking the PCB out and putting it in my old NES advantage joystick to see if I could make it all work, turn it into the "NEC Advantage" joystick, that way, I wouldn't have to ever buy an actual NEC Turbo stick, etc. =) Well, it worked, although the tricky thing was the atypical wiring for the Duo cable, copper strands with string in the middle; it was hard to safely strip it and twist it with regular copper wire of normal cables and have a reliable connection/joint. Anyway, I've been thinking I might raffle it off some time here since I never really used it (thought I would). I recently went back a couple of months ago and soldered the joints in the wiring properly after making the cable 12 ft. long; I learned how to better strip that Duo wire so I got it working perfectly with no faulty/flaky connections. Funny enough, it all works, analog potentiometers for the turbo effect, the slow-mo button, etc. I was surprised that I succeeded when I first did it.