Author Topic: Turbo Duo-R not powering on ???  (Read 546 times)

broken

Re: Turbo Duo-R not powering on ???
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 02:18:58 PM »
Cool man thanks .. Will test them out with a multi meter first .. Are all +5 volt 7805 regulators the same ?? Or are their different ratings on them ?? Having fun learning about working on these consoles one day at a time ... This noob is giving it his best !!!

More or less. At least in the context of what you would replace the ones in the duo with.

7805 takes an input voltage of from between 7 volts up to, maybe, 30 some old volts (or higher) and outputs 5 volts with max amperage of 1 or 1.5 amps. Allows flexibility of input voltage to get a steady 5 volts out.

Anyways, I would test the built in 7805's first (after double checking the fuse). Basically when its powered on, the output pin should read approx. 5 volts. If its substantially less (or no voltage) then the 7805 is most likely toast and needs replaced. Check the input voltage as well.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:21:11 PM by broken »

thesteve

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »
the 7805 is a 78 series 05V regulator, they are all the same

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 09:07:20 AM »
Hey everyone .. So I went ahead and tested both of my power adapters with a multi meter I borrowed .. These are the results in my voltage testing .. At this point I'm really confused and can't quite figure out what else I should test ??? So far I have checked the glass fuse, ac input jack on Duo-R, 2 different ac adapters, and both 7805 +5 voltage regulators .. Everything to me seems to be fine, and yet I am getting no power on light or anything on my beloved Duo-r ??? 

Sega ac adapter model Sa-190
Input Ac100V 50/60Hz 18VA
Output Dc10V 850MA
MULTI METER READINGS ...
9volt Duo-R input jack .. 12.85 volts
7805 voltage regulator closest to the input jack .. 12.82 volts and 4.71 volts
The second 7805 voltage regulator reads the same as the first one ..

Radio Shack ac adapter model 273-356
9volt Dc 1500mA
MULTI METER READINGS ...
9volt Duo-R input jack .. 8.52 volts
7805 voltage regulator closest to the input jack .. 8.45 volts and 4.71 volts
The second 7805 voltage regulator reads the same as the first one ..

I TRULY NEED SOME MORE ADVICE ON WHAT TO TRY NEXT :cry: !!!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

thesteve

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »
for starters, no power light (it doesnt have one)
try putting a disc in and pressing run

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 10:07:20 AM »
Hey thestsve .. I just tested it out and I got no image, no spinning disc or red light on .. I also tried a few different Hu cards and also got no results ... I tried that with both ac adapters and on a few different power outlets in my apt ](*,) ...

Thanks for the reply ....
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

thesteve

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »
ok, so it sounds like its not booting, and you have a picture problem.
no response from tv, not even a white screen.

the 5V means its powering on

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 12:11:21 PM »
Cool thanks thesteve for explaining that to me, I understand what you mean now .. This is all new stuff to me, but I really enjoy learning from what you guys are teaching me here .. Is their anything else you guys suppose I can try/test out ??? Lol I'm a determined NOOB that's willing to give it my best !!!

broken

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »
Had this duo been recapped?

If not, I'm wondering if a leaking cap has ate away at some traces causing this?

thesteve

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
when replacing the cap by the power switch, its easy to brake the video trace.
any region or cap work, can cause a no boot condition.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »
Great news !!! I got it working again .. I received my ac adapter from retrogamecave today .. I wiggled around the 3 cd rom plugs that are hook up to the motherboard, then assembled my Duo-r .. I put a cd in and turned it on with the new ac adapter plugged in and pressed start .. The light went on and I got no video .. I powered it off .. So I took off the lid on my Duo-r and inserted a Hu card, powered it back on and applied pressure down onto the av port and I got my video signal back on .. I powered it off and I took the whole system apart and added new solder to the bottom of the av port .. And that was it, my Duo-r was up and running like a champ again :dance: !!!

Thank you all for the help .. I would have not known how to go about repairing my Duo-R without you guys !!!