Author Topic: PC Engine GT Sound issue  (Read 256 times)

choijimmy

PC Engine GT Sound issue
« on: December 25, 2012, 05:35:02 AM »
Hi,

Merry X'mas!

I recently got PC Engine GT with No sound. Replaced the capacities by a retro game shop. After fixing, the sound come back but with two questions

1) I found that even I put my head phone into the jack, I got sound from Both  a) head phone  b) the PC Engine GT speaker .  Is this normal? I think if I put the head phone in, the GT speaker should be in mute, am I right?

2) If I turn the volume to quite large ( around 60% ), yes, the sounds is so loud but I heard some static ( like sound with electromagnetic interference ), is it normal?

Thanks a lot!
Jimmy
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:49:15 AM by choijimmy »

turbokon

Re: PC Engine GT Sound issue
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
It's probably because the pin that makes contact to enable sound thru speaker when no jack is plug in is broken. So they just jump the contact points. I've done this before.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

choijimmy

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »
It's probably because the pin that makes contact to enable sound thru speaker when no jack is plug in is broken. So they just jump the contact points. I've done this before.

Thanks a lot!

Any idea for the static when volume is medium to large? I think this is abnormal too.

thanks again
Jimmy

BlueBMW

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »
I'd guess that when the caps were done, there was some cap fluid not fully cleaned up still causing some minor shorting and static.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

choijimmy

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:52:52 PM »
I'd guess that when the caps were done, there was some cap fluid not fully cleaned up still causing some minor shorting and static.

Thanks a lot! Talked to that guy who fixed my GT. He said indeed the GT volume shouldn't be that loud, he made the sound so loud and that's why there is static when I turn the volume to medium to high. I think he is right, I feel the sound is much louder than usual when I turn the volume to high :)

choijimmy

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »

Talked to that guy. He said due to erosion the GT board, he can't trace the circuit anymore. Thus, he jump the contact from the IC audio output to GT speaker. Thus, GT speaker alway on even though ear phone is pluged

Thanks!
Jimmy

thesteve

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 07:57:32 AM »
the circuit is simple enough, if you ever want it fixed right

choijimmy

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »
the circuit is simple enough, if you ever want it fixed right

however it GT, there are some plastic stuff (like bubblegum) on top of the circuit, it makes the circuit hard to trace... according to that guy.

thesteve

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »
its RTV, and not too tough to trace around.
besides, if your headphones are right, it just goes to the speaker from there