Author Topic: Can you use the same AV cables and AC adapter with both a PCE & TG?  (Read 267 times)

flywheels

Ever since I got back into collecting games (no thanks to my boss at work!) I've been adding new games and consoles here and there.  I've been a big fan of the PC Engine for a long time and have finally settled on using a Core Grafx II and a Super CD-ROM 2 setup.  However I've been having an itch to play/collect select U.S. TurboGrafx games.  I've been looking all over the 'net the last few weeks for a good deal on a TG16 console and I finally found one...or rather won one.

I grabbed the TG16 console with it's back cover, TurboBooster, 1 controller, Turbo Tap, AV cords and official AC adapter.  Games in the lot include a complete Keith Courage (woo!), Bonk's Revenge, Legendary Axe and a loose Bonk's Adventure TurboChip.  $110 shipped.  More than I wanted to spend, but oh well.

The only "problem" I may have once the console arrives next week is how I'm going to fit it in my current set up.  My question is can I use the same AC adapter and AV hook ups from my PCE to hook up my TG?  I don't have any room left on my AV selector box to hook up another console so I was curious as to if I could use what I already have and just switch the plugs on the consoles when I'm ready to play.

Why oh why did NEC have to make the TG16 so freaking long.  Guess they didn't think people would be cramming the console into an entertainment center along with 14 other game consoles!

Black Tiger

Re: Can you use the same AV cables and AC adapter with both a PCE & TG?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
No, the TG-16 doesn't have an A/V out, only RF. You need the TurboBooster to line out composite/stereo.

If you'd found a TurboDuo you could use the same AV cable.

The PAL TG has the same size A/V out, but it uses a different pin connection.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

flywheels

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »
I have the TurboBooster...it was included in the lot that I won.

Hmm, maybe I can find room to plug in the AC adapter and just switch the AV cables between consoles like I do w/ my Nintendo and Famicom AV.

A Black Falcon

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »
I have the TurboBooster...it was included in the lot that I won.

Hmm, maybe I can find room to plug in the AC adapter and just switch the AV cables between consoles like I do w/ my Nintendo and Famicom AV.
No, the TurboBooster/TurboBooster Plus use red/white/yellow composite line out, just like the Turbo CD base unit does.  They do not use a specialized AV cord like most other consoles do for AV output.  I believe that the original PCE CD drive is the same way -- red/white/yellow to red/white/yellow.

NEC changed things with the Super CD drive, CoreGrafx II, and the Duo line; they use a plug, as you know, instead of this generic cable.  You'll need separate AV cables for each of these systems.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:15:25 PM by A Black Falcon »