Author Topic: Cleaning turbo cds  (Read 792 times)

rCadeGaming

Re: Cleaning turbo cds
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 04:30:02 PM »
If I was really so worried, I wouldn't ride this:

http://www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/519499-the-green-810

Seriously though, the bike is mine the car is not.  Planning to get one in a few years though.  Porsche 993, the last generation of real 911's before they went with water cooled, and just got big and overcomplicated.

Plus, you could probably buy 2 or 3 of my car with the cash you'd spend on that one... and I bet mines faster :wink:

Drive one of these, and you may change your taste in cars...

My buddy has a 50th anniversary C5.  Sorry, but I don't really care for it.  I just feels a little big and cumbersome from the wheel for my taste.  Certainly a great drag car, but doesn't really feel right on a windy country road.  Not that the handling is bad, it's not really in terms of numbers (993 is significantly lighter though), it just doesn't feel nimble in the same way.  Depends on taste.

Yes, the C5 would be faster in a straight line, especially considering I'd prefer an N/A just to keep things simple.  I could easily maintain it myself (used to work in a garage, built that bike), and some of the turbo bodywork is pretty gawdy.

Oh, and N/A 993's can be found mint for as little as $30k.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:37:37 PM by rCadeGaming »

tpivette

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 05:17:25 PM »

Seriously though, the bike is mine the car is not.  Planning to get one in a few years though.  Porsche 993, the last generation of real 911's before they went with water cooled, and just got big and overcomplicated.

Plus, you could probably buy 2 or 3 of my car with the cash you'd spend on that one... and I bet mines faster :wink:

Drive one of these, and you may change your taste in cars...

My buddy has a 50th anniversary C5.  Sorry, but I don't really care for it.  I just feels a little big and cumbersome from the wheel for my taste.  Certainly a great drag car, but doesn't really feel right on a windy country road.  Not that the handling is bad, it's not really in terms of numbers (993 is significantly lighter though), it just doesn't feel nimble in the same way.  Depends on taste.

Yes, the C5 would be faster in a straight line, especially considering I'd prefer an N/A just to keep things simple.  I could easily maintain it myself (used to work in a garage, built that bike), and some of the turbo bodywork is pretty gawdy.

Oh, and N/A 993's can be found mint for as little as $30k.
A 50th Vette is only availible in the coupe or convertible body style, and with the magntic ride suspention. Mine is a FRC (hardtop... no removable roof) with the Z51 option. That basically means the chassis is stiffer than the regular coupe due to the solid roof. It also came with bigger sway bars, and stiffer shocks/springs over the magnetic ride suspention as well. The one thing these cars do lack, is tires. They came with Goodyear runflats from the factory, and quite frankly, they blow. Throw a set of Michelin Pilots on the car and its a whole different experience. I'm quite confident it would do well on either a racetrack or some twisty back roads. No saying the Vette would win in a handling contest against a 993, as that's what Porsche's are known for. The Vette is more of an multi-tasking car... it does well in all catagories. If I wanted an all out drag car, I would've purchased a LS1 Camaro or Firebird. However, it does hold its own at the dragstrip... my best time 100% stock with sticky tires is a 12.30 at 113.49mph. Not too shabby for a 14 year old car.

How much does the 993 weigh? I always thought Porsches were on the heavier side. My FRC with a full tank weighs in at 3100lbs.

Definitely post some pictures up when you decide to pull the trigger and pick one up.

Oh... and my 50k mile 1999 only cost $14k
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:21:10 PM by tpivette »
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

rCadeGaming

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 01:09:07 AM »
Ok, yes, his car could certainly use the added stiffness.  Still though, the wheel base is much longer and wider.  It just feels massive looking down that long hood.  Not a bad thing for a muscle car, just not what I'm into.  Not that I don't like Vettes; I think 2nd gen and early 3rd gen are some of my favorites in terms of looks.

I think most standard 993's are around 3075 lbs stock curb weight, so not much difference there.  The 993 certainly isn't heavy, being basically a small, simple air-cooled car.  Maybe they started to get fat starting with the 996, but I lose interest with those.  Anyhow, supposedly you can get them under 2800 lbs, but I wouldn't want to tear it up so badly.  I want it as a reasonable daily driver, at least for the summer time.

$14k huh?  You've certainly got me there.  $30k is the low end of 993 prices.

Anyhow, don't expect to see me in one soon.  5 years is the plan I'd say.  I might get another bike, and a better winter vehicle first.

rCadeGaming

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 05:14:02 AM »
Ok, last night I decided to make sure and rule out everything on the system side.  I cleaned out all the grease around the cd laser gears and tracks and whatnot with rubbing alcohol, and replaced it with Molykote 44 Light.  After this, Rondo still worked perfectly... and the 4-in-1 wouldn't load at all  #-o

Then I tweaked all the pots according to this guide:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8926.msg152736#msg152736

After that, the laser seemed to operate more quietly, and the carriage moved around to find different tracks even quicker and more efficiently in the music test on Rondo... but the 4-in-1 still wouldn't load  ](*,)

Finally, I decided I'd try the pot right on the side of the laser.  I turned it about 45 degrees clockwise, tried loading the 4-in-1 one more time, and to my delight, it started instantly.   :dance:

It seems to be working perfectly now; all the problems areas where it would stall, crackle, or fail to load outright, have cleared up.  In the Gate of Thunder music test, the last track is on the very ragged edge of the disc, and it loads up super quick and plays rock solid.

Of course, everything in Rondo still works great too.  I still don't know why it never had much problem and the 4-in-1 was so bad though.  Granted, the Rondo disc is mint, but the 4-in-1 really only has a few light scratches.  Maybe there's something different about US and Japanese Turbo CD's, I don't know.

Since everything seems to be good now, I'm going to leave well enough alone.  I'll keep the CD cleaning tips in mind for the future though.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:24:18 AM by rCadeGaming »

Bernie

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 05:20:07 AM »
Glad you were able to get it fixed.  Thats weird that it only chose that disc to act crazy with. 

Black Tiger

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 06:46:01 AM »
Ok, last night I decided to make sure and rule out everything on the system side.  I cleaned out all the grease around the cd laser gears and tracks and whatnot with rubbing alcohol, and replaced it with Molykote 44 Light.  After this, Rondo still worked perfectly... and the 4-in-1 wouldn't load at all  #-o

Then I tweaked all the pots according to this guide:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8926.msg152736#msg152736

After that, the laser seemed to operate more quietly, and the carriage moved around to find different tracks even quicker and more efficiently in the music test on Rondo... but the 4-in-1 still wouldn't load  ](*,)

Finally, I decided I'd try the pot right on the side of the laser.  I turned it about 45 degrees clockwise, tried loading the 4-in-1 one more time, and to my delight, it started instantly.   :dance:

It seems to be working perfectly now; all the problems areas where it would stall, crackle, or fail to load outright, have cleared up.  In the Gate of Thunder music test, the last track is on the very ragged edge of the disc, and it loads up super quick and plays rock solid.

Of course, everything in Rondo still works great too.  I still don't know why it never had much problem and the 4-in-1 was so bad though.  Granted, the Rondo disc is mint, but the 4-in-1 really only has a few light scratches.  Maybe there's something different about US and Japanese Turbo CD's, I don't know.

Since everything seems to be good now, I'm going to leave well enough alone.  I'll keep the CD cleaning tips in mind for the future though.

Good to hear you got your system working without having to touch your discs. Different games have different data and audio tracks and aren't all formatted exactly the same. North American discs aren't any different than Japanese discs. Sometimes some individual CD copies of any type are just harder for CD players to read.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Sparky

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 01:22:55 PM »
After all that you go another route :P... I joke, good to hear rCadeGaming.