Author Topic: Beyond Shadowgate's musician!  (Read 330 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Beyond Shadowgate's musician!
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »
I was in a thread over at Atari Age about Lynx music, & this dude called solidcorp mentioned a friend of his who did a bunch of Lynx music BITD, & looking thru his portfolio, found that he did Beyond Shadowate(among many other games he's done over the years).  There's no extra info beyond that, but thought I'd share regardless, maybe someone would want to do an interview someday.  Here's the original post: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/107173-lynx-soundtrack-rips/page__st__50#entry2669272

And here's the website, Beyond Shadowgate is listed a lil past the half way mark: http://www.bytesizesound.com/productcredits.html
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:46:41 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

Tatsujin

Re: Beyond Shadowgate's musician!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:54:47 PM »
lol, he did like 80% of all US arcade games.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ccovell

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »
The Lynx usually had some crappy musicians on it, but anything by Paul Tonge is fantastic.  Look him up!  He gave the Lynx a very Turbografx-y sound.

Edit: Oh, jeez, I'm just repeating myself now.  http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8107.5
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:29:14 PM by ccovell »

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »
The Lynx usually had some crappy musicians on it, but anything by Paul Tonge is fantastic.  Look him up!  He gave the Lynx a very Turbografx-y sound.

Edit: Oh, jeez, I'm just repeating myself now.  http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8107.5

And then there's the Lynx(& Jag) games that have no music, which always seemed strange to me.  That programmer, solidcorp, that I mentioned in the link above (who apparently was head of Software Dev at Atari back in the Lynx days) has said he has no idea why there was such a lack of music in Lynx games.  :-k

esteban

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »

What are the chances that he has vivid memories of the work he did for Beyond Shadowgate? Or that he still has some BS material/demos/etc. stashed on a box in the attic? I can dream.
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »

What are the chances that he has vivid memories of the work he did for Beyond Shadowgate? Or that he still has some BS material/demos/etc. stashed on a box in the attic? I can dream.

Correction, we can dream!  And then we'll find out he did music for the unreleased Riftwar Saga!  Now I can truly dream! :D

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
This guys career would have probably been more impressive had he been pickier about what work he was willing to do after the early 90s. After a bit it just looks like he is just in it for the paycheck only. I guess the stuff he worked on must have not paid much for him to take on so many lackluster jobs.

esteban

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »
This guys career would have probably been more impressive had he been pickier about what work he was willing to do after the early 90s. After a bit it just looks like he is just in it for the paycheck only. I guess the stuff he worked on must have not paid much for him to take on so many lackluster jobs.

I hear you, but, honestly, I can't fault the guy. Commercially successful games often want lame, formulaic soundtracks. This fellow didn't necessarily sacrifice artistic integrity to compose for low-budget projects. Plus: outside of AAA titles, it's hard to anticipate which games will be executed competently and which games will be messy messes. He's just the musician, after all!

I am too lazy to go back and put "In Defense of the Starving Artist" at the opening my comment.
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
I feel like I'd have a hard time convincing myself to make music for a game that I know I'd never play, like Dora the Explorer or My Little Pony.  Even for a paycheck, it'd just be so uninspiring to try to come up with music for those games.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
I feel like I'd have a hard time convincing myself to make music for a game that I know I'd never play, like Dora the Explorer or My Little Pony.  Even for a paycheck, it'd just be so uninspiring to try to come up with music for those games.

I agree with you 100 percent here. I'm just like, as a artist, I feel you'd have to draw some inspiration from somewhere to make the music pretty good, to give it your all, and I just don't see how a guy like this could continue to do so on such horrible jobs after coming off of doing music for Lynx games and Beyond Shadowgate. The rest of his career has clearly been for the paycheck. It's possible he uses part of the money to fund doing other music projects he loves doing though, and I cant fault him there if that is the case. Many artist take on "safe work" in order to fund the riskier projects they are interested in doing for their selves.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 04:45:05 AM »
Ok, so now is there any chance Rove could get Matt Scott/Byte-Size sound to make an audio track for a future Turbo Homebrew game?

It would be killer for something like that to happen!  A music producer from 'back in the day' making music for a current OBEY game!!

esteban

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »
I know I am one of the few who care about this thread :)

ANY DEVELOPMENTS?

This wasn't some elaborate joke played on us by agents of FEKA, was it?

|    |