Author Topic: WTB: Turbo Duo HuCard Door  (Read 1053 times)

SeymorOnion

Re: WTB: Turbo Duo HuCard Door
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 08:12:18 AM »
Sorry about the aluminum mold assumption thing, and for writing STL instead of FDM.
I'd like to blame a lack of sleep, coupled with a marathon of watching vocaloid vids on youtube, for my misread,
but then again, that's kinda a normal day for me.  :P

That acetone vapor method for smoothing 3D Printed stuff; you know, I recall reading something about that recently.
It looked very promising, albeit somewhat dangerous; although you know what you are doing, so it shouldn't be an issue.

If ya'll can make small quantities of the doors, without having to invest a bunch of $, that would be ideal.

SeymorOnion

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 08:27:27 AM »

Therefore, it should be a IP part that that's going to cost some bucks, especially since probably only 20 people in world want one.

I think there are probably a few more than 20. I count 1 active, and 2 completed with no door on ebay. If we say that ebay accounts for 50% of sales, that means that there are 6 people every 3 months that are in need of a Duo door, or 24 per year. If there were 20 active forum members who needed one, it wouldn't be ridiculous to assume that you could get rid of 50 in a year. You'd have to sell them on ebay to get wider exposure, but it would be a service to all turbo collectors, not just the ones on this forum. 

At least, that is my analysis. Hopefully that helps whoever makes them.
You posted this as i was writing my reply...  :P

I'll add this, to help inspire/promote alternative solutions to making the doors, that won't require injection molding.
I'll set aside $200, from my IRS Refund, to buy up to $200 worth of them from you.
I'll resell em on my website, and also on eBay (so you won't have to deal with filling online orders, if that's something you don't like to do),
and give full credit to you.
I won't do a crazy markup, just enough to cover transaction fees, FVF's, and listing fees.

If yall can keep the cost-per-door to under $5 each, making them by hand, that'd be at least 40 doors.

TheOldMan

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »
I have no interest in mass-producing parts for people who are going to use them to repair machines, just so they can re-sell them as 'complete' for a higher price to other people.

With that out of the way, what we really need is a good model for the door. I'm willing to put in the time to make the model, and print prototypes to make sure it works. Unfortunately, I don't have a sample door to make the model from.

Here's the scenario I'd -like- to see happen, though....
We get a sample door (and one with a broken hinge pin should be fine) and make a model from it. After a few attempts, we print one that actually works, so we lessen our chances of a major snafu.
At that point, we nudge someone with a cnc machine (Where's Tom?) to make an aluminum mold. It shouldn't take too many attempts to get that right; from what I've seen (though I'm not an expert at this) we would only need to re-slice the model for use on a cutting machine.
Once we have a mold, we can find someone to do the actual injection molding. Note that most of the cost of doing this is in the mold design and creation, which we would already have. So the actual part production should be really cheap.

I've thought about this quite a bit, to make the HuCard carriers. Assuming things work out right in RL, I may go ahead and see what I can find in a cheap home-style injection molder. Ideally, I could use a silicon mold to do that, but I haven't had any success with it - yet. I definately can't afford the $2K+ for a cnc machine just to make molds for plastic parts :(

So, who wants to step up and act as project coordinator to make this happen?
More importantly, who has a door they would be willing to donate?

BlueBMW

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
I can assist in the design of he mold.  I did injection mold making for several years.  I just need some software...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

SignOfZeta

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 02:43:50 PM »
I know a guy with a 3 axis CNC mill. It's been a while since he did any work for me but I could probably talk him into making the mold if the file is complete.

My concern though, if you haven't done so already, do you know EXACTLY how to make the mold so that the place with the IP machine can actually use it? I'd hate to waste time making a useless mold.

BlueBMW

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »
Well the first step before any mold can be designed is to draw up a correct 3d model of the part itself.  Then we can figure out our target material and calculate shrink values etc.  From there designing the mold for such a simple part wont take too much to do.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Mishran

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 03:33:06 AM »
All that is needed to prevent any problems with people selling them as original doors is to add something to them to differentiate them from the original. If you intend to make them as close to original as possible, add an inscription to the underside of the door that dictates it as a non-original. Preferable as a part of the mold itself to prevent tampering or hiding said marking.

BlueBMW

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 05:03:16 AM »
Molding such an inscription would be no trouble.

turboswimbz

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 06:05:10 AM »
I'll give up my beloved PCE door to be a donator. And I'll coordinate as much as I can if no one else wants to.  And yeah we would clearly want to make them diffrent enough to not be mistaken as orginal. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Phase

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
Hmm, imo if its changed visually too much I don't think people will even want them plus it kind of defeats the purpose of making it.
It could have something like 'Reproduction Door' imprinted on the underside. But because some dealer may try and sell for a higher price on ebay should that ruin it for people who just want to replace their broken or lost door or if they bought one that didn't have a door.

The only thing I can think of would be to take the waves out of the line on top, so you would just have a strait line that goes across the door.
But then most people new to the duo wouldn't know the difference anyway. Plus I think us folks that want a repro door would just prefer it to look like the original.
As long as we make sure that these are a quality product that have similar or better durability than the originals I don't see making them look the same being a problem.
What do you guys think?

turboswimbz

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 02:15:30 AM »
Idk yet, but for arguments sake the outside would match the Duo as close as possible, any changes would be added to the underside and be only noticable if looking for it, probably somekind of a simple imprint, mark, or similar. It may even be that the repos are diffrent enough on thier own. besides if someone wanted to they could recreate it as we are. (this would really just be to keep honest people honest and give people a refrence on what a repo would look like, i.e a link it back to the forums here)  Although this is a mute point really, as we would not be making this as a mass reproduction, this would be a small run for Active members here only, for those just looking to replace a missing door.  Also a Duo without door goes for just as much with one these days anyway.

I'm going to take the lead coordinating everything, with the oldman's and hopefully blue's help:
That whole discussion must come later however, and shall be mentioned no more by me until we have are ready to produce.

1st step is going to be taking the door I have and doing some measurment grabing, drawing, picture taking.  I'll update as soon as I have something worth while.

2nd Step will be the modeling.

* Note these 2 steps are not exactly simple steps and can be time consuming, please expect a bit before I have something to update.  Basically as blue and theoldman have stated, without a good model and mold this project won't go anywhere, and we might have to revisit said steps more than once later in the project.
Also will be making a non-WTB thread for the project soon.
https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14466.0
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:56:15 AM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

BlueBMW

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 04:14:40 AM »
As I said a good cad model of the door isnthe first step.  After that we could get quotes on having the mold made.  I think there are some low production models of the DME MUD mold base that would work perfectly.  Theyre small and cheap.

http://www.dme.net/dme/products/quick_change_sys.html

SeymorOnion

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
Creating a Replacement Hu-Card Door For the Turbo/PCE Duo
https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14466.0