Author Topic: Someone really ought to dump Hucard ROMS properly  (Read 516 times)

SamIAm

Re: Someone really ought to dump Hucard ROMS properly
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 08:41:29 PM »
Aha!!

From the Neo Team Forums (of the Neo PCE 128m flashcart):

Quote from: Chilly Willy
Note - I've tried all the SGX games, and they all run with one caveat: Aldynes always freezes at the same point in the demo; if you start the game before that point, it plays fine. It doesn't freeze under emulation, so I'm not sure what the issue is on real hardware.

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,6700.msg50682.html#msg50682

It freezes for me on stage 5, too. Not to brag, but getting that far takes a lot of practice and I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Chilly Willy hasn't made it that far. Maybe it really does need a redump. Or maybe there's something unique about the hucard.

All card games access the HuCards on every machine cycle; that's the only way they can possibly run.  So your idea about Aldynes is a bit off.  The game might have been poorly programmed, or have very brittle timing.

Most hacked games are US Turbografx games that simply have their country lockout defeated.  Japanese hacked games are... well, post some examples using DOS FC, as a start, rather than wild speculation.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I was just speculating. It really is a funny difference, though. I wonder what is going on that Aldynes is so sensitive?

I'm getting it now that a lot of the TG-16 (U) games in the GoodTools set were dumped using equipment with the PCE pin setup, which is why they need the deinterlacing and why the "unhacked" R-Type didn't work. It's definitely best to use the [h1] version of any US ROM when playing from the GoodTools set.