Author Topic: Games on multiple formats  (Read 299 times)

vestcoat

Games on multiple formats
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:19:21 PM »
a while back someone explained that the SCD/ACD games have slightly faster load times when you use the Arcade Card (and 3x3 Eyes also has more frames of animation).

My question is, what differences are there with the CD/SCD games when yo play them with the different cards?  (Sherlock Holmes 2, the US version of Terraforming, any others?)
I have a Duo so there's no way i can find out if these games play any differently with the basic System Card.

I'd also be curious to know more about Darius Plus (pce/sg) and the games that got released on both hucard and CD.
Is there a list of card/cd games?
i know of:

Bonk 3
Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf
Altered Beast
Populous

how do the different versions of these games compare?

Black Tiger

Re: Games on multiple formats
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 03:33:20 AM »
Quote from: "vestcoat"
a while back someone explained that the SCD/ACD games have slightly faster load times when you use the Arcade Card (and 3x3 Eyes also has more frames of animation).

My question is, what differences are there with the CD/SCD games when yo play them with the different cards?  (Sherlock Holmes 2, the US version of Terraforming, any others?)
I have a Duo so there's no way i can find out if these games play any differently with the basic System Card.

I'd also be curious to know more about Darius Plus (pce/sg) and the games that got released on both hucard and CD.
Is there a list of card/cd games?
i know of:

Bonk 3
Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf
Altered Beast
Populous

how do the different versions of these games compare?

I've never been able to tell the difference in loading times between any CD/SCD or SCD/ACD games. Plus, even my best working systems don't have consistant load times to begin with.

I'm pretty sure that this is the rest of the games that appeared on Hu and CD:

Side Arms
Raiden
R-Type

Plus these games have appeared in full form on CD:

Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Bomberman
Nectaris

Here is some of what I know about the differences:

Bonk 3 -CD soundtrack

Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf -digitzied face of JN giving tips(in voice?)

Altered Beast -crappy intro, one cd track, only compatible with Sys 1.0 Card

Populous -CD sound and an exclusive Bomberman world.

Side Arms -CD soundtrack(bgm's order is switched) and an entire second version of the game called Before Christ.

Raiden -I think I heard that it has a difficulty change and some extra animation. I think it has an extra level or two. I think I remember it having CD music and nop cinemas.

R-Type -in japan, R-Type was divided into 2 Hu Cards. This CD turns them into a single game with cinemas and features the most sacreligious remixed CD soundtrack ever. Disgusting(unless you'e into hat kinda thing like Keranu).

As for the Darius':

Super Darius -full game, all levels and bosses and endings + CD surround sound soundtrack. Difficulty + Boss fight tricks.

Darius Plus -I believe that all the levels are there, but a lot of bosses are missing and are replaced with duplicates of other bosses. It has an awesome PSG soundtrack that recreates the CD & arcade versions music perfectly. I don't think that oit has the huge scrolling Darius logo from the CD version. It uses the Supergrafx's extra graphics plain to render bosses and eliminate the flicker and slowdown(eliminating the slowdown is a bad thing gameplay wise). It doesn't renger the scrolling end level boarders in the extra plain so they still flicker.

Darius Alpha -its pretty much the Boss Fight trick from Super Darius, but aside from including every(I think) boss, it looks and sounds like 'Plus since its a Hu Card.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 03:49:40 AM »
About Altered Beast, are they saying I can't play it in my Duo-R?

I have to admit though, to me the remixed version of R-Type stage 2 sound tight though.

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 04:18:52 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
About Altered Beast, are they saying I can't play it in my Duo-R?

I have to admit though, to me the remixed version of R-Type stage 2 sound tight though.

Yeah, you'll need the 1.0 card to play it.

I see a lot of sellers pairing the game with card nowadays though.

The R-Type soundtrack wouldn't turn me off so much if the original's soundtrack wasn't one of my fav's that perfectly fit the overall theme(the major draw, over the gameplay).

But it also didn't sound right for a shooter soundtrack either, as far as I remember. I never play it, but every few years I think that maybe my memories are overexagerated and I try it/listen to it again... and to my horror I hate it even more.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

vestcoat

Re: Games on multiple formats
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 05:06:44 AM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"

I've never been able to tell the difference in loading times between any CD/SCD or SCD/ACD games. Plus, even my best working systems don't have consistent load times to begin with.

Yeah, my decks don't have consistent load times either.
I got the pce version of Terraforming in the mail yesterday and i've never played the US version.  So the US version can be played with the basic System Card as a CD game and there aren't any differences?

R-Type -in japan, R-Type was divided into 2 Hu Cards. This CD turns them into a single game with cinemas and features the most sacreligious remixed CD soundtrack ever. Disgusting(unless you'e into hat kinda thing like Keranu).

yeah...Keranu is disgusting alright  ;)

I still play R-Type complete, but the music did piss me off enough to go out and buy R-Types on psx.
Would there be possible to replace the music files on R-Type Complete with music tracks from R-Types?  Kind of like Darkman did with his Y's Special Edition?
(I suppose this question doesn't matter anyway since i'll never put a CDr in my Duo again, but it would be nice...)

As for the Darius':

Super Darius -full game, all levels and bosses and endings + CD surround sound soundtrack. Difficulty + Boss fight tricks.

Darius Plus -I believe that all the levels are there, but a lot of bosses are missing and are replaced with duplicates of other bosses. It has an awesome PSG soundtrack that recreates the CD & arcade versions music perfectly. I don't think that oit has the huge scrolling Darius logo from the CD version. It uses the Supergrafx's extra graphics plain to render bosses and eliminate the flicker and slowdown(eliminating the slowdown is a bad thing gameplay wise). It doesn't renger the scrolling end level boarders in the extra plain so they still flicker.

Oh, so Super Darius and Darius Plus are pretty much the same game?
I didn't know that.
And if you play Darius Plus on a Supergrafx it just cleans up flicker and slowdown and doesn't really change much if you flip the switch between PCE and Supergrafx?

Thanks for all the info.

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 05:10:10 PM »
Quote from: "Black Tiger Hardcore Fant"

Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Bomberman
Nectaris

When did Nectaris appear on a CD? I had no idea about this, very cool.

Man, I don't see what makes me disgusting.  :lol:

I still haven't heard the remixed R-Type CD soundtrack, but I do plan on getting that game sometime to hear it or even downloading the tracks, just never got around to it yet. I am definitely interested in hearing it.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 02:27:21 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Quote from: "Black Tiger Hardcore Fant"

Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Bomberman
Nectaris

When did Nectaris appear on a CD? I had no idea about this, very cool.

Man, I don't see what makes me disgusting.  :lol:

I still haven't heard the remixed R-Type CD soundtrack, but I do plan on getting that game sometime to hear it or even downloading the tracks, just never got around to it yet. I am definitely interested in hearing it.
Neo Nectaris has the original HuCard ROM on it. As far as I know, Neo Nectaris and the 4-in-1 Duo Pack-in game are the only two games that offered straight HuCard ROMS on a CD format.

And, for the folks who are dissing the R-Type soundtrack (Black_Tiger :) & company): You stink! Do you really want to hear the same old soundtrack -- YET AGAIN? I wanted something different. Is the PCE CD R-Type soundtrack gonna win over most folks? I guess not. :( But it's a damn shame folks don't give it a chance :).

@ Jack Nicklaus -- In addition to what B_T said, the CD version has extra courses and the digitized intros / pics of the courses.

Note: I love everything that Black_Tiger posts on these forums, so I'm just teasing him about his lack of love for R-Type CD soundtrack.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 02:46:23 PM »
Awesome, I didn't know Neo Nectaris included the original on it! That's badass, I might look for Neo Nectaris sometime.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).