Author Topic: Trade a TGCD for Duo?  (Read 218 times)

kormendi

Trade a TGCD for Duo?
« on: August 31, 2013, 06:41:49 PM »
I'm new here.  Hello.

Here's a brief summary of my TG history (if you dont care, skip this paragraph). My family got a turbografx around when it first came out.  I loved it, but the controller eventually broke and we couldn't find a replacement so it got buried in the closet.  In 98', I discovered TZD and took advantage of their trade in program to upgrade the TG16 to a Duo.  Then in 2000 on my way home from my freshman year at college my Duo was stolen while my car was in the shop.  They took the duo box with system and cables and my SLR camera.  All of my games and controllers were in a different box, but without anything to play it on it all went back in the closet.  In 2005 I got the itch again and went to ebay and picked up a bunch of parts and assembled two TGCD setups.  After some time, they ended up getting buried again.  As of a couple weeks ago, they are back out and I am currently working my way through Neutopia and picked up a copy of Ys IV from the local used game store.

So, currently I have no way to play super CDs and I'd like something a little less clunky, so I'm looking to trade one of my TGCD setups for a US Duo (preferably modded + arcade card) or any jp CD variant + arcade card.

The CD system has the carrying case, dock, CD, TG16, system card (not super) and power supply.  I don't really want to part with the system card, but will if needed to make a deal.

I also have some games I'm happy to part with.

HuCard/CD only:
Sidearms
Bonk's Revenge
Battle Royale
Tricky Kick
Gate of Thunder/Bonk 3 in 1

Case+Manual:
Tale Spin
Sonic Spike
Takin' it to the Hoop
World Class Baseball
Power Golf
Bravoman (w/ box)

Want:
Street Fighter 2
Lemmings
Devil's Crush/Crash
Dungeon Explorer 2 (JP or US :))
Arcade card pro or duo
Avenue 6 or other 6 button controller

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:18:48 AM by kormendi »

burn_654

Re: Trade a TGCD for Duo?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

You could probably make out fairly well with a japanese setup - they tend to be much more common and more affordable than the US duos now. The cd's will play on any region console, with a region mod you'd have an ideal setup.

The original pc engine duo (and turbo duo) are prone now to having problems related to capacitors leaking. It often causes audio and cd problems if they weren't replaced. If you go for the regular duo make sure it's been refurbished or you keep in mind that if not now, you probably will need to send it to someone to get re-capped. I got a good deal on an original japanese duo but it needed capacitors replaced and some additional work.

A lot of people here recommend the duo-r and duo-rx consoles due to being far less prone to the cap problems.

Just my 2 cents, in terms of value I would recommend going for a japanese console - even with one needing a repair you'll likely be saving compared to hunting down a working US duo.  :)
Quote from: RegalSin
You know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »
I went Duo as well, it's an up front investment for sure but really covers a lot of ground up front and allows access to many games right away.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

kormendi

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:06:06 AM »
I have a taker for the TG16 CD, so that's no longer available, but the games are.  See the revised first post for my want list.

nodtveidt

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »
I'm the one who traded the TGCD for the Duo. Given that this was this dude's first post and it sounded like this could just be another "gimme a free Duo" scam, I was cautious, but I didn't sense anything amiss about the possible trade. So, I took the chance. It showed up today, and is in perfect working order. The dude's legit as f*ck and you can trust him.

kormendi

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
I appreciate the kind words.  Thanks again.