Author Topic: Haven't fired up my Turbo Duo in a couple years, wondering about capacitors  (Read 258 times)

johnnykonami

I know, blasphemy!  Anyway, I'm kind of afraid to now after reading about the capacitor issues.  Is it possible they leaked anyway during a period of dis-use?   I want to start collecting a few games again, does anyone have any advice regarding the capacitors?  Also, if I decide to have someone replace the capacitors with new ones, is it worth it to get an RGB mod as well at the same time?  This just gives it the ability to use component cables, right?  The duo is still kind of my baby and I've tried to keep it in good condition, but I'm thinking about this.  Does anyone on the forums do this for money currently and do a really neat job inside and out?

turbokon

Yeah you should get those caps on the duo replaced right away.  RGB mod is different from component video (YPbPr). Most HDTV don't take RGB, if they do it's via a VGA type connection, can't remember the exact din.  If you want to use component cable, component video is the way to go.  Check this out for the component mod:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14876.msg301175#msg301175

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

toymachine78

Does the regular TG16 and CD dock have the same Cap issues? I've never had mine recapped, but it seems to work fine. Are there any symptoms of poor caps, other than inspecting them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

thesteve

The duo has different caps, that make failure much more common
The tg16 setup can fail, but not as much

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

johnnykonami

Yeah you should get those caps on the duo replaced right away.  RGB mod is different from component video (YPbPr). Most HDTV don't take RGB, if they do it's via a VGA type connection, can't remember the exact din.  If you want to use component cable, component video is the way to go.  Check this out for the component mod:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14876.msg301175#msg301175

Thanks for the info - I actually just want to choose the best video output possible regardless of what it is.  I used to play on my C-64 monitor, but now I want to hook it up to really nice CRT.  I might be on the hunt for something like one of those PVM monitors if I can find one, or just a decent regular TV.  So it doesn't have to be component video, but that does seem the most likely thing I will find on TVs from the USA, right?  From what I've seen online, aren't the RGB mods a step above component?  I just don't know what I need to hook it up.  I think my confusion stems from the fact that it might have been common in the UK and I think maybe Japan too - for instance, SCART connectors were RGB, right?  To my knowledge nothing like that ever existed here.  I went from RF modulators, to composite A/V RCA cables, to S-Video, and finally to component to end the analog era of connectors.

Anyway...  I just wanted to figure out what the best possible mod is for immaculate video.  And thanks for the link!  I will definitely check it out in my research.

johnnykonami

The duo has different caps, that make failure much more common
The tg16 setup can fail, but not as much

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I had a TG-16 before my Duo and it just kinda stopped working, a couple years after release (1991-2?)  Looking back,  I wonder if the cap issue is what caused that.  It's one of many things that prompted me to migrate to a TurboDuo.

turbokon

Nah, it was something else. Too early for cap failure.

Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com