Author Topic: The sound on my TE unfortunately has started to fade.  (Read 363 times)

MotherGunner

The sound on my TE unfortunately has started to fade.
« on: April 03, 2006, 05:19:52 PM »
Does anyone have instructions on which capacitor to switch out?  I want to do it myself to save money.

Im pretty good at soldering and all and I imagine its a quick fix.

Thanks! :twisted:
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

MotherGunner

-MG

MotherGunner

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 06:32:22 PM »
I fixed it!  It was way too easy.  The key is use some of that flux out of the tin so the solder sticks to it better (since the points are small)

Special thanks to D-Lite
-MG

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 07:18:02 PM »
Nice to know that worked well. I am really considering buying a Turbo Express this month or next month, but the problems I have heard scare me. I am glad to know that this audio problem doesn't seem to be so much of an issue anymore. The other problem, however, is the dead pixel problem. Has there ever been a way to fix this on a Turbo Express or older hand helds in general? I heard a nasty story recently of someone's Turbo Express that had a whole line of dead pixels and it really screwed things up.

One thing I do know of though is that it's possible to fix burnt pixels on newer LCD computer monitors, because my brother did it to his brand new one recently. Appearently there is software that helps fix the burnt pixels and you have to actually massage the burnt pixel as well; it fixed my brother's monitor! He told me something how they are trying to do this with the newer hand held video game systems like the PSP. Is there any possible way at all that this fix for burnt pixels on newer LCD monitors could be applied to dead pixels on older video game hand held screens?  :?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 08:20:39 PM »
By the way, here are a few links to further support my hypothesis':

http://wiki.ehow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor
http://www.psp-vault.com/Article168.psp
http://forum.lik-sang.com/showthread.php?t=4247

So if the "massaging" idea doesn't work, it could still be possible that someone could program a similar program used on the PSP's pixel fixer for the TG16, which you could transfer on the new TG16 flashcart that came out and load it on your Turbo Express (if that's possible). Also would there be a way to do this with Turbo Vision (TV tuner for Turbo Express)?

Unfortunately I don't have a Turbo Express to test this on, so anyone with one is more than welcome to and give me the resluts :D . I did try doing it with a Game Gear though which seems to have a stuck pixel, but I had no luck using the massage method. Could this be because the screen is different?
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rolins

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 10:41:12 PM »
Great job on the TE, MotherGunner.

As for dead pixel issue on the TE, they're a minor nuisance and hardly noticable. I used to have a GT with two dead pixels that appeared as a blue and a red dot, but only in dark/black backgrounds do you see them.

I don't know if that's a good idea to "massage" the screen. I believe the best way is to salavage another TE/GT screen that doesn't have dead pixels. I've done this before and it works.

FM-77

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 12:29:46 AM »
"Massaging" the screen will not make a difference. If it worked for your brother then he didn't have any dead pixels.

A dead pixel means a dead transistor and you can't fix one of those by "massaging" it. Fixing it is virtually impossible.

malducci

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 03:01:14 AM »
"Massaging" the screen will not make a difference. If it worked for your brother then he didn't have any dead pixels.

I worked for CompUSSR for a number of years as a tech and we did just this to a quite few laptop screens with "dead" or "stuck" pixels.

It did require a serious of amount of pressure. I would use my the tip of my thumbnail and all the surrounding pixels under pressure would turn white. Ofcourse this was done on abandon equipment that we got to take home.

MotherGunner

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 04:50:42 AM »
D-lite told me that he was able to hook up a PSOne screen to the TE and it work perfectly.  He was wanting to comeup with a hybrid sort of handheld but I don't know if he's continued work on it.  

Hopefully he'll see this thread and elaborate.

Another thing I was wondering is if it would be possible to switch out the screen altogether with the screen from a Gameboy micro or the new brighter SPs

Those screens are NICE.    

Or maybe get Messiah to offer NEW screens with the latest technology.  Imagine a screen replacement kit for the TE

Or better yet, a NEW TE with six buttons better screen, battery life...ha wishful thinking.
-MG

FM-77

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 06:24:49 AM »
Quote from: "malducci"

I worked for CompUSSR for a number of years as a tech and we did just this to a quite few laptop screens with "dead" or "stuck" pixels.

It did require a serious of amount of pressure. I would use my the tip of my thumbnail and all the surrounding pixels under pressure would turn white. Ofcourse this was done on abandon equipment that we got to take home.

Like I said: dead pixels. There's a difference between "dead" and "stuck" pixels.

Quote from: "MotherGunner"
Another thing I was wondering is if it would be possible to switch out the screen altogether with the screen from a Gameboy micro or the new brighter SPs

Those screens are NICE.    

Or maybe get Messiah to offer NEW screens with the latest technology.  Imagine a screen replacement kit for the TE

Or better yet, a NEW TE with six buttons better screen, battery life...ha wishful thinking.

Allow me to shatter your dreams.  :wink:

Click here or read this:

The rule is: All LCD screens are unusable for anything without significant effort expended in creating an interface and controller and convertor.

The exption is: a miniscule percentage will not require this work.

malducci

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 01:06:32 PM »
There's a difference between "dead" and "stuck" pixels.

I know. Most non-techies don't and the term is often interchanged. A "stuck" is much more common than a "dead" pixel. A "stuck" pixel or more percisely a sub-pixel, is usually stuck "on" allowing light to pass through it at a fixed rate. While a "dead" will not turn on and will not allow light to pass through therefore showing up as a black subpixel. Note: "stuck" subpixels can be stuck in the off position, appearing to be a dead pixel.

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 07:35:23 PM »
I always figured there was a difference between a "stuck" and a "dead" pixel, but I didn't know what the difference was and since doing my research last night, I was under the impression that they were the same since people always said "stuck or dead" - thanks for clarifying this for me. This leaves me to a question though: does the Turbo Express typically suffer from stuck or dead pixels? And thanks for the info on your TE pixel situations, Rollins, that makes me feel a little safer when buying one in the future. I only hope we could still find a way to fix the problem as well. Usually stuck pixels don't bother me much either.