Author Topic: Ys Book I&II  (Read 405 times)

Llanowar

Ys Book I&II
« on: April 10, 2006, 01:55:46 PM »
Hi.

Can you please tell me how to run a backup (iso) on "Magic Engine"?
I´ve mounted it with Deamon Drive, Changed the drive letter in pce.ini. Started ME, it reads: PCE CD but doesn´t start it. The screen remains black while a green "60" appears in h upper left corner. Whats wrong?

nodtveidt

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 03:23:01 PM »
That game cannot be run by ISO alone. You will need a complete isopak (iso + wav + cue) that is accurate to run it.

Llanowar

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 11:43:20 PM »
What to do with the cue? Mount it in 2nd virtual drive too?

nodtveidt

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 11:54:51 PM »
You mount the cue...that's it.

NightWolve

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 02:11:23 AM »
You should only be mounting the CUE and nothing else. Another tip for you is if your "backup" was a ISO/MP3 file set, you should run this tool of mine linked below to fix it:

http://nick.serveblog.net/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=4

http://nick.serveblog.net/index.php?ind=downloads&op=download_file&ide=4&file=TocFixer101.rar

Daemon Tools can only mount an ISO/WAV/CUE file set, so you must convert the MP3 files to waves if you haven't already. Also, if you run my tool on your ISO/WAV files, it'll make you a proper guaranteed CUE file, so it's worth running it for that as well.

Llanowar

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 04:43:47 AM »
Thanks.

Now I converted the mp3s to wav and repaired them with TocFixer. It read: Sucess. The wavs are valid. Then I mounted the new cue into Daemon Virtual Drive E: [0:] and changed the letter and number in the pce.ini to this. Trying to Boot CD or Load Game in "Magic Engine" grants me with a black screen with green "60"...
What else would be to do?

NightWolve

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 11:17:08 AM »
Oh, it was you that pm'ed me. Well, you using the latest MagicEngine PR 10 and are you booting the game with a real System Card 3 and not the Magic System 3 emulated card?? Always boot with with a SYSCARD3.PCE file and don't use the other ones.

Llanowar

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 08:01:02 AM »
I don´t know whats this all. Alas, I´m not so deep into that technical stuff.  How can I do the settings you are talking about?

NightWolve

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 03:49:51 PM »
Looks to me like you're not using PR10. You don't have to use the pce.ini to point the drive with the new PR10; you can select the daemon or real cd-rom drive from the menu making it easy. You're still using an old version of the emulator, which is usually due to fans having a pirated key, and it not working with the latest version. But let's not make assumptions here. Anyway, in a nutshell, this is what you need to try:

1) Download this, http://www.magicengine.com/files/me100-english-pr10.zip and extract to some folder.

2) Download this, http://rigg.servegame.com/software/SYSCARDS.rar and extract it in the same folder where you extract PR10. The 3 files inside this rar should be in the same folder as pce.exe.

3) Run pce.exe.

4) Select Boot CD.

5) It'll show you the drives, and if it detects a valid PCE CD, it'll say "PCE CD." Since you fixed the ISO/WAV/CUE file set with TocFixer, you should see it. Anyway, don't select the drive just yet. Click that arrow at the bottom you'll see. Then a bigger list of choices will appear; select SYSTEM CARD 3.0 and NOT the MAGIC SYSTEM CARD 3.0. When you do that, it'll show that card as selected.

6) Now go back up and select one of the drives where you saw that "PCE CD." You'll be taken to the system card menu, and when you press whatever key or joystick button is assigned as the "RUN", the game will begin. Usually the Enter key.

Llanowar

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 06:48:11 AM »
That was one clear and exact description you gave.
I thank you. Now it runs. Playing Ys on TG 16 is a great experience.  :D

If I ran the game from a real CD, what must I burn to the CD-R?
Only cue? Or cue, iso and waves all?

Llanowar

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 08:35:17 AM »
Where does "Magic Engine" places the save-files?

NightWolve

Ys Book I&II
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 12:49:17 PM »
Only the CUE file. Yes, that's what you burn. The same thing that you mounted is what you would burn. C'mon, deduce something on your own. ;) You can burn a CUE file with CDRWIN, Alcohol 120%, Ahead Nero, Fireburner, CloneCD, etc. You've got a lot of choices and you need to try to find whatever burning software works best with whatever particular CD-RW burner that you have.

As for saved-state files, they're saved in the same folder as pce.exe, unless you change the output folder in pce.ini. Their extension is .meX, where X is a number 1-4 and they're usually around 400-500KB. You can't miss 'em...