Author Topic: Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games  (Read 3594 times)

esteban

Censoring / Sanitizing North American Games
« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2006, 08:21:09 PM »
Quote from: "eastx"
The Japanese version of Battle of the Planets/G-Force is Gatchaman. I can see having nostalgia for the hacked version, but that is just too hacked for me to want to see more than one or two episodes.
Whoops, my bad, I made a typo :).
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2006, 02:19:22 PM »
Quote from: "bt"
You need to post a 5 million dollar bond to release a game.

That's either a new stipulation, or one they neglect to mention when they offer the details at first. I've spoken with NOA reps before on the subject and never heard a peep about a $5mil bond. Then again, they also adamantly refused to admit to the existence of the Pegasus, so...go figure.

bt

« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2006, 02:27:42 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Quote from: "bt"
You need to post a 5 million dollar bond to release a game.

That's either a new stipulation, or one they neglect to mention when they offer the details at first. I've spoken with NOA reps before on the subject and never heard a peep about a $5mil bond. Then again, they also adamantly refused to admit to the existence of the Pegasus, so...go figure.

It's there... perhaps it's after the part where they say that once the agreement is signed that anything between you and Nintendo is then confidential?

See:
http://contracts.onecle.com/bam/nintendo.lic.2001.11.09.shtml

10.2 LICENSEE's Insurance. LICENSEE shall, at its own expense, obtain acomprehensive policy of general liability insurance (including coverage for advertising injury and product liability claims) from a recognized nsurance company. Such policy of insurance shall be in an amount of not less than Five Million Dollars ($5,000,000 US) on a per occurrence basis and shall provide for adequate protection against any suits, claims, loss or damage by the Licensed Products. Such policy shall name NOA and Nintendo Co., Ltd. as additional insureds and shall specify it may not be canceled without thirty (30) days' prior written Notice to NOA. If LICENSEE fails to maintain such insurance at any time during the Term and for a period of two (2) years thereafter, NOA may secure such insurance at LICENSEE's expense.

-bt

malducci

« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2006, 06:04:47 PM »
What's the cost on such a bond?

bt

« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2006, 12:40:29 AM »
Quote from: "malducci"
What's the cost on such a bond?

Depends on a lot of things (as all insurance does), but the going price seems to be in the $3,000-$7,000 range on an annual basis.

-bt

tjj

« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2006, 06:06:44 AM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
Quote from: "GUTS"
edited quote:
Snatcher was a great game too, I don't see where the level of interactivety and amount of cinematics has any relation to how fun a game is.  Hell, simple point & click games like Monkey Island are some of the best games I've ever played.

I also loved cinematic games(like Snatcher).

My point was that emphasis has been put more so on aesthetics over gameplay as years go by.

Final Fantasy is the best example, because if you remove the cinemas from the few games that have any, you can see than overall depth of gameplay has been going down a slippery slope from FFVII onward(although IX seemed better than XIII), where as leading up to FFVI, it was just the opposite.

And this is what has setup gaming in a very dangerous predicament leading up to the next generation. Casual gamers now rule, they're the market. And they judge games by budget just like movies. And now only big time developers are going to be able to afford to develop games that take advantage of the 3D power of new consoles.

What this should mean, is that we finally get awesome 2D games again, but somehow I don't think thats going to be the case.

I just hope that publishers start to look at ways of making money in general, not just risky smash hits. Because just as Nintendo can afford to make its own games for its own system, any publisher can make good money putting out a good 2D game, like recent Castlevanias, because it'll cost way less of a fraction to develop than it will proportionately earn in sales.

==========================================

dude, you might want to check out a series called "mother" in japan. the ONLY english version released was called "earthbound" in the U.S.A.
earthbound = "mother 2" .

"mother 3" is being released today/tomorrow/sunday/monday on gameboy advanced!!!

low-rez graphics, AWESOME story line, WIERD game.

and i LOVE it!!

http://starmen.net/mother2/images/screenshots/summers3.png

^^ mother2 SCREEN-SHOT

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/18/e0/6f_1.JPG

^^ usa "earthbound" CARTRIDGE pic.

http://starmen.net/

^^ info source on the "mother/earthbound" games....

http://www.1101.com/MOTHER3/index.html

^^ japanese official "mother 3" page....

http://starmen.net/mother3/mother3world/#

^^ english translation of the official page (authorized too!)
"hardware-pounder"

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2006, 08:24:13 AM »
I just gotten my furthest on Genpei Toumaden II just now, and now I'm wondering about another localization edit for Samurai Ghost. It has a "seppuku" scene.

There was a boss in I think Round 3 or 4 that looked and fought exactly like my player. When you beat him, he gets on his knees and shoves his own sword through himself.
I wonder if that got taken out in the US version.

esteban

« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2006, 04:02:31 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
I just gotten my furthest on Genpei Toumaden II just now, and now I'm wondering about another localization edit for Samurai Ghost. It has a "seppuku" scene.

There was a boss in I think Round 3 or 4 that looked and fought exactly like my player. When you beat him, he gets on his knees and shoves his own sword through himself.
I wonder if that got taken out in the US version.
Awesome! This is a great find :). Next time you play the game, make a note of what stage & boss this is! I'd like to document this with as many details as possible...

From our discussion in the other thread (about the waterfall boss who plays a flute), it seems that this is the boss for level 4?

Even if it *remained* in the TG-16 version, it's a fun bit of trivia :).
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2006, 09:06:19 AM »
Hey here's an interesting thing I noticed last night when looking through screenshots!

In the USA version of Shape Shifter (which came out in America first, right?), Lycos doesn't wear a shirt so his buff skin is fully exposed. However in the Japanese version, Lycos wears a brown shirt!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2006, 09:41:35 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Hey here's an interesting thing I noticed last night when looking through screenshots!

In the USA version of Shape Shifter (which came out in America first, right?), Lycos doesn't wear a shirt so his buff skin is fully exposed. However in the Japanese version, Lycos wears a brown shirt!
ROCK ON! I love these little nuances... who can confirm this? I only have the U.S. version of the game....
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2006, 03:05:29 PM »
I have both, so I can confirm it.  I just never thought much about it.  Also, I might add, that I believe the Jp game is easier.  I remember, I originally played the Jp version, yeaaaars ago, & I got to the moon....before my friend erased my memory by saving over it :P   But, when I got the US version, I just couldn't do it....that is, without the cheat code!

esteban

« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2006, 03:44:26 PM »
Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"
I have both, so I can confirm it.  I just never thought much about it.  Also, I might add, that I believe the Jp game is easier.  I remember, I originally played the Jp version, yeaaaars ago, & I got to the moon....before my friend erased my memory by saving over it :P   But, when I got the US version, I just couldn't do it....that is, without the cheat code!
Yes, Paranoia, I remember you saying that you thought the Japanese version was easier -- probably on the ME boards way back when we were talking about this game.

You also said that you like the translucent(?) water effects in one of the stages? Could you elaborate on this, because it sounds interesting (I honestly don't remember much about this game, since I haven't played it since it came out... although I popped the CD in my CD player a few months ago and I liked the music :) .
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2006, 04:42:36 PM »
The transparency effects for the first area with water looks pretty nice as PD said, though two things I thought could be touched up on it were more texture on the top of the water like waves, instead of the flat top it has (though it kind of looks cooler that way), and the other reason being that only Lycos seems to show off the transparent effect, not the enemies if I recall. Excellent game, by the way.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

malducci

« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2006, 06:05:03 PM »
Depends on a lot of things (as all insurance does), but the going price seems to be in the $3,000-$7,000 range on an annual basis.

-bt

That's definitely with in a small companies range. That makes it even more tempting :lol:

A group of friends/associates and I are forming a new LLC. It's mostly film production, but there are other areas/fields this company will cover. I'm going to have, to have a talk with the other members and investers about game developement. I'll PM you as this is getting off topic.