Author Topic: Short lived GT video fix  (Read 318 times)

cybermaid

Short lived GT video fix
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:18:08 AM »
Hi guys!

I've had my PCE-GT for a few years now, and the display just took longer and longer to be visible. So thought i'd apply the video fix and replace the 4.7uF 35V cap. After the fix my screen was visible in no time...the fix had worked and i was soooo happy :D But after 2 days the screen went black while playing...the brightness dial wasn't working and the only way to see anything was to tilt the GT. So i figured what the hell, and ordered all the other caps for a total replacement. I did a total cap replacement this weekend, and it did fix my sound...it's a LOT louder :) But the still the same display problem...

Does anyone have a idea what i could check or do to fix this issue? I've searched the forums but did not find anything that could indicate what was wrong. (and yes, i did try with a adapter and fresh batteries  :mrgreen: )

Oh, i did blow my GT fuse while trying to figure it out myself... lol XD Gotta buy a new fuse and then i can try you're idea's.

Tatsujin

Re: Short lived GT video fix
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »
Maybe your fluorescent backlight is gone.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

cybermaid

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:26:46 PM »
And can that be fixed, or am i screwed? :(

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:49:12 PM »
Probably by replacing it with a newer led backlight panel.
May some other members have you some good ideas :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Fidde_se

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 07:17:03 AM »
If you take an extremely bright light and look closely on the screen while taking the contrast to both its ends, do you see any movement? Something underneath showing its actually working and that it's just light that's gone!
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

Duo_R

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 07:25:54 AM »
Looks like you tried new batteries. Did you try a full cap swap?
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

cybermaid

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 08:44:13 AM »

If that's the problem i guess i'll have to. It's just so weird that it broke just when i had applied the video fix.

If you take an extremely bright light and look closely on the screen while taking the contrast to both its ends, do you see any movement? Something underneath showing its actually working and that it's just light that's gone!
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it after i replace the fuse :)

Looks like you tried new batteries. Did you try a full cap swap?
Yea, i mentioned it in my story... XD

cam

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
You should fix this problem following this tutorial (in french) :

http://blog.home108.com

Best regards,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://blog.home108.com

NightWolve

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 01:44:06 PM »

If that's the problem i guess i'll have to. It's just so weird that it broke just when i had applied the video fix.

I disagree with the wisdom of that tutorial in just targetting the video related capacitors while leaving the rest of the leaky caps in place and then continuing to run the unit... There are power related caps and you continued to operate it with 20 year old leaky ones and now your backlit lamp may have burned out... Maybe it was gonna burn out anyway, maybe not. Plus, the fluid from those caps eventually corrodes the traces... Point is, all caps should be replaced once you open the thing and all tutorials should show you how, and not give you bad (or less than responsible) ideas about doing it half-assed.

Well, if you can't find a lamp replacement maybe the screen mod might be something to look into now...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:51:11 PM by NightWolve »