Author Topic: Worst huey ever poll  (Read 1923 times)

jordan_hillman

Re: Worst huey ever poll
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2014, 07:41:13 AM »

TV SPORTS Anything = better than Deep Blue.

Deep Blue reminds me a lot of China Warrior. Is it a good game? No, not really but it has its charms. Both require very high levels of enemy pattern memorization in order to beat them, and neither are the best looking games on the system.

But I kind of dig Deep Blue as a highly defensive oriented shooter for the system. More dodging, less shooting, and, yes, less fun than the other shooters on the system, but it has a weird charm/misunderstanding that draw me back to it.

I don't disagree with you. I just haven't given it a chance, really. I tried playing it like a traditional shootemup, got frustrated, knew that I was doing something wrong, and moved on to other games.

But I always revisit stuff, and I've been meaning to do so for years. FIRST I'LL PLAY ORDYNE, though, since I feel guiltier for ignoring ORDYNE for so many years.

Ballistix, though, is a turd.

I have a really difficult time finding anything redeemable about Ballistix either. The basic gaming premise seems fine enough, but sweet mother of lord is the implementation of that premise garbage!

"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

jordan_hillman

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2014, 07:49:35 AM »
I enjoyed double dungeons, it reminds me of the original Phantasy Star on Master system, I understand that its not the most exciting, or shiny game out there but its great for what it is in my opinion.
+1. Great game that nailed everything it set out to do. A remarkable title for a 1990 home console original. People dislike it only because they expect a full-fledged RPG, but get a tightly-focused arcade dungeon crawler. If it were called "Maze Slasher" or something it would be more popular.

I voted for Double Dungeons, but I am now going to give that game another fair shot.

I legitimately think telling myself I am playing a game called "Maze Slasher" will make a difference. And plus, it's two player co-op.

johnnykonami

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
I enjoyed double dungeons, it reminds me of the original Phantasy Star on Master system, I understand that its not the most exciting, or shiny game out there but its great for what it is in my opinion.
+1. Great game that nailed everything it set out to do. A remarkable title for a 1990 home console original. People dislike it only because they expect a full-fledged RPG, but get a tightly-focused arcade dungeon crawler. If it were called "Maze Slasher" or something it would be more popular.

I voted for Double Dungeons, but I am now going to give that game another fair shot.

I legitimately think telling myself I am playing a game called "Maze Slasher" will make a difference. And plus, it's two player co-op.

Don't let me stop you!  I didn't have the pleasure of having a co-op partner most of the time growing up, and when I did have a friend over we were assuredly playing something else besides Double Dungeons.  Two player mode may add an extra dimension I didn't give it credit for.  But as for the name, it's not like it's misleading.  You get exactly what it says.

If I recall, all the dungeons looked the same except for the shape.  That is, the same wall graphics and everything, maybe even music.  If they had just given the overall atmosphere of the game a few tweaks it might have been more compelling.  Plus, a progression/save system instead of just choosing which dungeons you wanted to go into, you would have to unlock them one by one. 

jordan_hillman

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
[Don't let me stop you!  I didn't have the pleasure of having a co-op partner most of the time growing up, and when I did have a friend over we were assuredly playing something else besides Double Dungeons.  Two player mode may add an extra dimension I didn't give it credit for.  But as for the name, it's not like it's misleading.  You get exactly what it says.

If I recall, all the dungeons looked the same except for the shape.  That is, the same wall graphics and everything, maybe even music.  If they had just given the overall atmosphere of the game a few tweaks it might have been more compelling.  Plus, a progression/save system instead of just choosing which dungeons you wanted to go into, you would have to unlock them one by one.

I definitely remember the game looking and feeling a bit drab compared to other titles, and a save feature definitely would have helped. I'm also convinced that the 20+ year-old, first-person perspective is what keeps most people away nowadays, which is a damn shame.

But I'm gonna stop complaining about what Double Dungeons could have been and start trying to appreciate it for what it is.

Or I'm going to bitch, complain, and say I don't like it after this weekend. [-(

johnnykonami

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2014, 05:03:57 PM »
I'm also convinced that the 20+ year-old, first-person perspective is what keeps most people away nowadays, which is a damn shame.

I still enjoy this style of game, myself.  I picked up both The Dark Spire on DS as well as The Legend of Grimrock over the last couple of years.  I think a lot of people out there have fond memories of Wizardry, Eye of the Beholder, and Dungeon Master just to name a few. 

jordan_hillman

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »
I'm also convinced that the 20+ year-old, first-person perspective is what keeps most people away nowadays, which is a damn shame.

I still enjoy this style of game, myself.  I picked up both The Dark Spire on DS as well as The Legend of Grimrock over the last couple of years.  I think a lot of people out there have fond memories of Wizardry, Eye of the Beholder, and Dungeon Master just to name a few.

I completely agree with you. Those who grew up with genre, especially the 80s classics you mentioned above, are definitely still loving them some dungeon crawling RPG fun.

A lot of younger dudes like myself (late(ish) twenties) mostly got into 3rd person, turn-based RPGs on various systems and completely missed out on this era of (mostly) computer and PC RPGs. I'm certainly not vouching for anyone at or near my age, but I feel like this partly explains the disconnect between this genre and most gamers born in the late 80s and afterwards.

TheClash603

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2014, 08:34:18 PM »
There is only one game on that list I would dread having to play again, Timeball.  I hate that shit.

esteban

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2014, 08:47:29 PM »

There is only one game on that list I would dread having to play again, Timeball.  I hate that shit.

I love you.

But I will shred your filthy heart to shreds for disgracing Timeball.

YOU THINK I AM JOKING.

I wish I was.

GO HATE A GAME THAT DESERVES IT, YOU GODDAMN TROLL.

I still love you, but I had to delete your post from my memory. 

I CAN DO THAT.
  |    | 

slinkyturd

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2014, 10:05:22 PM »
I wish I could strike timeball from my memory.
70/95 US Turbochips

esteban

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »

I wish I could strike timeball from my memory.

You and Clash are dead to me.
  |    |