Author Topic: And yet another TE question  (Read 274 times)

johnnymad

And yet another TE question
« on: August 13, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »
I know there are a couple threads about TE repair stickied, but I couldn't find an answer. Got a TE yesterday and just got a fresh set of batteries. Turns on but screen is black and no sound. Could one cap be effecting the unit from working? Meaning if I change the cap in the video circuit, could both picture and sound work? I know there could be a lot of variables but just wondering if anyone can answer from experience.

Might be a while before I can work on it, so also wondering if I should just go ahead and change out all the caps while I have it open.

wolfman

Re: And yet another TE question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »

Might be a while before I can work on it, so also wondering if I should just go ahead and change out all the caps while I have it open.

Well, why not. Can´t hurt  :lol:
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

johnnymad

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »
Probably should. It's just I'm pretty sure I have a spare 4.7 uf cap that will fix the video. Wouldn't have to order any extra if that one could possibly fix it.

turbokon

And yet another TE question
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »
No, audio and video are seperate circuits therefore different sets of caps.  Replace them all.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:37:25 PM by turbokon »
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

johnnymad

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
No, audio and video are seperate circuits therefore different sets of caps.  Replace them all.

Ok. Was waiting for a confirmation from one of the real modders (unlike me).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:51:13 PM by johnnymad »

Fidde_se

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:58:12 PM »
When the unit is working and there is total blackness it's usually on of the Q900 or Q901 or both that has gone bad (2SD1898/BCX56)

This can be verified if you put a game in, there's sound, fiddle with the contrast while pointing a superbright flashlight in like 45 degree angle and see movements of the game lurking in the back of the screen.
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

NightWolve

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:08:44 PM »
All caps are leaking at this point, you must remove them, clean the PCB and replace. The fluid from the caps causes damage to the PCB over time, that's one. Two, assuming you did get it working by replacing the completely failed ones for video/audio, you'd be operating the unit with weak ones that are close to failure, and what if that causes strain to neighboring components that are not replaceable ?? Don't take any shortcuts, just do it right - one $10 capacitor kit on eBay will have all the caps you need. Open it once, do the whole job, and be done with it! The less times you open it the better.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:20:11 AM by NightWolve »

johnnymad

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 12:28:27 AM »
Went ahead and removed all the caps even though it'll be a while before I can replace them. There were several places where the caps leaked. Hoping that was the issue. Only problem is that two of the solder masks came off. Both places were the + end so I believe there's an alternate place right next to it on the underside of the PCB. Will investigate that later.