Author Topic: Why idiots shouldn't play with things they don't understand (fried PSU)  (Read 319 times)

grache

I recently bought my first TG-16. It came without a controller or PSU. I tested it with a Sega Genesis Model 1 PSU, but I wasn't able to play any games. I took it apart to clean all the dirt out of it (the previous owner packed it box full of dust bunnies for safe keeping).

So today I get a package from cjameslv which had a controller and Keith Courage. So excited to finally play the TG-16 I didn't bother putting it back in the case before hooking it up.

The TG-16 never powered on, and a burning smell came from the PSU. I found a loose screw in between the TG-16's board and shielding, maybe the screw shorted shorted something out?

Anyway, I tested the PSU on the Sega, no dice. Shows nothing on the multimeter either.

What should my next move be? I'm a little concerned to plug another good AC adapter into the TG-16 because I wouldn't want to ruin another one.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:56:12 PM by grache »
TurboGrafx-16 HuCard Collection: 7.3% complete    7 / 96 titles

BlueBMW

Re: Why idiots shouldn't play with things they don't understand (fried PSU)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:41:11 AM »
One of the main 5v regulators of the tg16 is screwed to the shielding which acts like a heat sink for it.  If you run the bare board without the shielding attached that regulator could get really hot and possibly short killing it or the power supply attached.  Just a thought.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

cjameslv

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 03:59:35 AM »
I recently bought my first TG-16. It came without a controller or PSU. I tested it with a Sega Genesis Model 1 PSU, but I wasn't able to play any games. I took it apart to clean all the dirt out of it (the previous owner packed it box full of dust bunnies for safe keeping).

So today I get a package from cjameslv which had a controller and Keith Courage. So excited to finally play the TG-16 I didn't bother putting it back in the case before hooking it up.

The TG-16 never powered on, and a burning smell came from the PSU. I found a loose screw in between the TG-16's board and shielding, maybe the screw shorted shorted something out?

Anyway, I tested the PSU on the Sega, no dice. Shows nothing on the multimeter either.

What should my next move be? I'm a little concerned to plug another good AC adapter into the TG-16 because I wouldn't want to ruin another one.
Hey glad you got your stuff  :D But any loose metal objects making contact with the pcb can short out a circuit. If you removed the screw you should be ok to put another psu. Beamer is right about the screw could be from the transistor but it takes a while for it to get hot. A genesis 1 psu is good to use as well (if it's an official sega model) as the .5v wont make difference anyway with the pulldown as its about the same as the stock 10.5v when it's under a load. Only way to find out is try again. I would visually check the system and if all seems well, give it another go.

grache

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:22:50 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately that was my only Genesis PSU, so I can't play Genesis now either, heh. Fortunately I still have my PCE   :o

The shielding is soldered on to the board (the previous owner did an AV mod and other fiddling around). When I have more time later I'll try to take a closer inspection, but since I don't have a solder pen I can't really get a good view of the board.

I'm a little worried about plugging another PSU in and potentially ruining it. I'd like to do some more investigation on the TG-16 itself to see if I can find the cause of the problem. I'll post pics later today or tomorrow.

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
Just get a universal  ac adapter from a local store that has a good return policy so if it goes bad you can just return it.

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
The PCE supply is correct for it as well

grache

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I used my Famicom AC adapter (DC10V 850mA) on the TG-16 and everything works fine.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 02:46:52 AM »
... so I can't play Genesis now either, heh.

Silver lining.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 04:55:52 AM »

... so I can't play Genesis now either, heh.

Silver lining.  :mrgreen:

FEKA has lost this battle.
  |    | 

grache

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:28:45 AM »
I *rarely* play my Genesis anyways. To be fair, I don't have many good games for it, but my favorite non-NEC console has always been the SNES.

bust3dstr8

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 06:12:54 AM »
After you visually inspect the pcb I would meter a few places on the board between the ground and power planes to make sure it's good to go.
Clowns Suck