Author Topic: Exile 2 - US version hack  (Read 946 times)

Medic_wheat

Re: Exile 2 - US version hack
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 05:49:39 AM »

Arjak

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 06:50:45 AM »
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

deubeul

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 07:45:54 AM »
 :shock: really? That thing has been officially sold?

Medic_wheat

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »
How dare you say WD can do wrong.

Vic did lots of things wrong.

NOT sarcasm!

Poor Magic Knight Rayearth... :shock:

I meant that my origianl post about WD dong no wrong was sarcasm 

Arjak

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 11:12:09 AM »
Ah. Well then, consider those pictures evidence to support our case!

Medic_wheat

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »

Condom and poop jokes not your thing?    :-#

Arjak

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »

Condom and poop jokes not your thing?    :-#

Not if they're as badly told and out of place as those were. :lol:

HailingTheThings

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »
Poor Magic Knight Rayearth... :shock:

Indeed. Wow.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »
Wow, I knew there was some poopy jokes in WD games, but, I must've not payed attention to em' all!

SamIAm

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 11:23:57 PM »
I actually played the Japanese version of Magic Knight Rayearth about a month ago. I'm stating the obvious, I'm sure, but not only was that stuff not in there; there was nothing remotely approaching that tone at all in the whole game. That's what really bothers me about those jokes.

I have to admit, when the village guards in Popful Mail talked like the cops in Dragnet, it made me laugh. But as a whole, Popful Mail has that sort of goofy tone in the original, too, and I think Working Designs captured that goofiness very well. There are some jokes that you would think weren't in the original that actually were, too.

Also, I've been working on Anearth Fantasy Stories a lot recently, and I totally get how mundane some of the routine NPC townspeople lines can get in an RPG. In a typical town-dungeon game, basically everyone in a town gives a one-sentence complaint about what the monster in the next dungeon is doing to screw everything up. There's a lot of temptation to rephrase things, and it's a small step from there to embellishing and just writing whatever.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:07:12 AM by SamIAm »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 02:48:18 AM »
Calgon take me away!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

Exile 2 - US version hack
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 08:35:53 AM »
I actually played the Japanese version of Magic Knight Rayearth about a month ago. I'm stating the obvious, I'm sure, but not only was that stuff not in there; there was nothing remotely approaching that tone at all in the whole game. That's what really bothers me about those jokes.

I have to admit, when the village guards in Popful Mail talked like the cops in Dragnet, it made me laugh. But as a whole, Popful Mail has that sort of goofy tone in the original, too, and I think Working Designs captured that goofiness very well. There are some jokes that you would think weren't in the original that actually were, too.

Also, I've been working on Anearth Fantasy Stories a lot recently, and I totally get how mundane some of the routine NPC townspeople lines can get in an RPG. In a typical town-dungeon game, basically everyone in a town gives a one-sentence complaint about what the monster in the next dungeon is doing to screw everything up. There's a lot of temptation to rephrase things, and it's a small step from there to embellishing and just writing whatever.

So, the key to an engaging localization would be better NPC banter, but without resorting to potty humor.

I know it would be difficult*, but I always thought that NPC chatter would be an excellent opportunity to fill in the backstory of a character or further enmesh the player in the culture/world of the game.

NPC's should provide interesting details to further flesh out the world—some of which might have to be created by the translator (if source material is scant)...it could be lots of fun (adding depth to story), and it doesn't have to be directly related to the main plot points.

* Purists would cry foul, since creative liberties would be taken to develop backstories culture/history more fully.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:45:36 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Medic_wheat

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »

So, the key to an engaging localization would be better NPC banter, but without resorting to potty humor.

I know it would be difficult*, but I always thought that NPC chatter would be an excellent opportunity to fill in the backstory of a character or further enmesh the player in the culture/world of the game.

NPC's should provide interesting details to further flesh out the world—some of which might have to be created by the translator (if source material is scant)...it could be lots of fun (adding depth to story), and it doesn't have to be directly related to the main plot points.

* Purists would cry foul, since creative liberties would be taken to develop backstories culture/history more fully.

WORD! TRUE DAT!

NightWolve

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »
The thing I remember about Exile 2 and what I did to beat it was taking an adjustable monkey wrench, tightening it on my turbopad to keep the sword slash button down ("II" I assume) at a point where enemies just kept spawning from the right of the screen, then leaving the room to go do something else for a couple of hours, etc. So leave it there, come back in a few hours, and you'd be fully maxed out, ready to take on the final boss or wherever else you got stuck at. I believe just at the end. So, yeah, I guess I cheated, didn't I ? ;)

esteban

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 11:57:24 PM »

The thing I remember about Exile 2 and what I did to beat it was taking an adjustable monkey wrench, tightening it on my turbopad to keep the sword slash button down ("II" I assume) at a point where enemies just kept spawning from the right of the screen, then leaving the room to go do something else for a couple of hours, etc. So leave it there, come back in a few hours, and you'd be fully maxed out, ready to take on the final boss or wherever else you got stuck at. I believe just at the end. So, yeah, I guess I cheated, didn't I ? ;)

If you used a rubber band, it would not have been considered cheating. 
  |    |