Author Topic: best video quality for turbo16  (Read 416 times)

Justinjcox20

best video quality for turbo16
« on: September 26, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
I have heard a few ways you can mod a turbo for better graphics. Is this also dependent on the type of tv it is played on. How can I get the best picture quality

SephirothTNH

Re: best video quality for turbo16
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 04:28:07 AM »
In order of best to worst you can mod a stock TG-16 for RGB, YpBpR, S-video, and composite.  Which one you should go for does depend on the setup you have or plan to have. 

If you have an RGB capable tv, PVM or Scart capable tv you will want to go RGB.  You will also want to go RGB if you have or plan on getting some type of external scaling device like the XRGB to get the best picture on modern HDTVs.

After that it depends on what hookups your tv has.  Some older TVs don't have YpBpR, commonly called Component Video, while some newer TVs don't have s-video anymore.  to complicate things even further some HDTVs with component input will not support the video coming out of the TG-16.

So yeah figure out which inputs are available to you first.

schweaty

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »
240p is as good as its going to get

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 10:06:38 AM »
What type of display are you using?
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Working_stiff

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »
I'm looking to mod my tg16 with the intent to hook it up through my xrgb mini. I found someone who can do a component mid but I'm wondering if it is worth holding out until I can find someone who can do an rgb mod. Also would running the system through the xrgbmini address the compatibility issue that some tvs have with the component mod?

Also, the modder offers svideo mods for much less than component mods. How does a tg16's svideo output compare to its component and rgb outputs? I know it isn't as good, but how "not good" is it?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:26:09 AM by Working_stiff »

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
You need RGB for the framemeister.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Working_stiff

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 12:50:34 PM »
You need RGB for the framemeister.

The framemeister has composite, svideo, and a few other hookups. I also have a component adapter designed for one of the inputs. I already have my n64 and dreamcast going to it through svideo.

ishiyakazuo

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
Do you have a CD-ROM?  If not, you can just connect to the rear connector and get the RGB signals from there.

Working_stiff

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:15:53 PM »
Do you have a CD-ROM?  If not, you can just connect to the rear connector and get the RGB signals from there.

I don't have a cd room expansion, but everything I read said the system doesn't do RGB natively. You have to mod it. I know you can get composite from the expansion port, but I thought that was it.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:54:43 PM »
There is RGB running to the expansion but you still need to add an RGB amp

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 01:40:47 AM »
I have heard a few ways you can mod a turbo for better graphics.
240p is as good as its going to get
Pretty much sums it up. Personally the RCA stock connects is quite acceptable and paying to get a mod for RGB is only prudent if you have a PVM or some fancy pants CRT that accepts the one true video signal (RGB/SCART).
What type of display are you using?
Back to this...if you're rocking a LCD, you going down a rabbit hole when a $5 goodwill CRT will give you what $100+ is going to achieve.

I have a Dojindance<?> RX with the S-vid and SCART mod, the s-vid IS clearer but there is a off tint that I've experienced that makes me just run composite(I mainly use it for RBG on a 13/20" PVM at cons, but at home I have a 35" that works well for my setup even tho I run composite on it). Moral is that not all A/V mods are equal.

Don't get me wrong, the obey RGB is like sex with Hendricks, but it can cost. If you're the type of guy that drops $150 for Spriggian and can afford the luxury of brilliant video, then DO ET! Other wise, keep obeying on a CRT.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

graffias79

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:34:35 AM »
I am satisfied with S-Video because I have a CRT that accepts it and it eliminates the pesky dot crawl present in composite.  CRTs are cheap at thrift stores and it doesn't take much to find one with S-Video.  The XRGB Mini should be able to handle S-Video as well should you go that direction in the future.

cjameslv

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »
Although I'm running mine on my BVM now, I decided to try it on my new 60" led tv. It has 1x component and the rest are hdmi. I figured it wouldn't work but f*ck it try it anyway..... I played soldier blade about a solid hour at least last night on it. I'm running turbokon's v2 board and it's the shit.  I decided to try it on a few other flat screens and it worked on every one. I can obey anywhere on my house now. So going component seems a very solid route imho.

turbokon

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 10:30:24 AM »

Although I'm running mine on my BVM now, I decided to try it on my new 60" led tv. It has 1x component and the rest are hdmi. I figured it wouldn't work but f*ck it try it anyway..... I played soldier blade about a solid hour at least last night on it. I'm running turbokon's v2 board and it's the shit.  I decided to try it on a few other flat screens and it worked on every one. I can obey anywhere on my house now. So going component seems a very solid route imho.

Glad to hear you got it working.  Pictures and video does not do the component video justice.  You have to see it in person to truly see the difference in quality versus composite. 
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

pnauts

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »

It's not the good solution, because:
you're wired right to the video chip processor of your console, if you do it wrong it can be destroyed and almost, this is not the right interface and signals levels to be within the 0.7VPP on 75 ohms load with video signals. As wrote higher, the amp solution is fine for RGB use.