Author Topic: Can software dictate the refresh rate?  (Read 418 times)

Joe Redifer

Can software dictate the refresh rate?
« on: December 17, 2014, 01:40:15 PM »
So I was recording some games using RGB out running through and XPC-4. Most games are fine. But JJ & Jeff spazzes out every 20 or so seconds of gameplay and the XPC-4 refreshes, putting it's stupid OSD onscreen for 20 seconds until it disappears. Unpause to try and record more and it spazzes out only seconds later. Bonk also kind of spazzes out but not as much as JJ & Jeff.

So is there something about these games that runs slower or faster than other Turbo software?

imparanoic

Re: Can software dictate the refresh rate?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »
are your sure if not an anomaly that affects on XPC4? have you tried these games with other xrgbs ( 2, 2plus, 3, mini), I have had 1, 2 and 2 plus, each model do have bizarre anomaly with certain games on one model, ie, faint grey wavy lines on xrgb2, but this doesn't appear on 2 plus, etc.

thesteve

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 05:21:19 PM »
the scan is hardware locked, however some images (generally bright near top or bottom) can disrupt some sync circuits

pulstar

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:07:30 AM »
the scan is hardware locked, however some images (generally bright near top or bottom) can disrupt some sync circuits

I'd say this is more than likely the culprit. Does it happen on bright screens or is it exactly after 20 seconds each time?
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

graffias79

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:54:50 AM »
Or could it be games with the 262 or 263 line dot crawl bit causing this?  I know it's not composite out that's being recorded but does it affect anything else?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »
It happens A LOT in stage 1 of JJ & Jeff. It's coming out of the Turbo going through a Sync Strike to re-sync the thing and then into the XPC-4. It works perfectly fine on other games like China Warrior, Die Hard and Dragon Spirit. But this game Bonk and a few others give me probs.

Here's a video:

It does it here twice only seconds apart. I pause the game so I can wait for the XPC-4 to get rid of the OSD in the upper right corner which takes about 9 years (unless there is a setting I don't know about?).

The Framemeister cannot see the TurboGrafx RGB. It shows up extremely stretched so that only like maybe 20 lines are on screen. And that's even after it passes through an LM21 sync stripper. So I must use the XPC-4. Maybe my RGB mod is too crappy? I just have transistors in the line as the full amp that is listed somewhere online didn't work. Transistors alone seem to.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:46:09 PM by Joe Redifer »

imparanoic

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
That's bizarre sync issue

I have never had an problems with a RGB mod on my Pc engine duo with xrgb1, xrgb2 or xrgb 2 plus ( which I am using now) with Sync

Maybe it's better to get an professional made RGB extension booster for white/turbo -16/core grafx and see if it's your RGB mod that's causing the problem

http://www.db-elec.com/home/News/dbgrafxboosterttptestedandfullyoperational

BTW, I love your show  ( from Hong Kong) and recommended to my friends

Joe Redifer

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
Nah the RGB amp has to be built in to the Interface Unit because I want to use it with CD games as well.

graffias79

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 05:21:48 AM »
Not sure how your RGB mod was done or if it means anything to the TurboGrafx 16 at all but when I connected my Genesis to my Commodore 1084 I discovered that I needed at least 330 ohms of resistance on the CSync line to make the picture stable.  Obviously the Genesis and TurboGrafx 16 are going to be completely different but maybe the problem is similar?

thesteve

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 12:12:59 PM »
Only thing special about TG16 sync is its weak
TG16 does fine into an XRGB when using sync from lm1881 on composite output