Author Topic: video quality question  (Read 881 times)

Tatsujin

video quality question
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 06:22:06 PM »
those 16-bit console wars were always funny back then on the school yard etc. :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

video quality question
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 06:43:14 PM »
I can see the schoolyard yelling now:

"My Genesis BLOWS AWAY your SNES because it has softer, crappier and uglier video and your SNES has crisp, clean and nearly tolerable composite video.  My Genesis even has ugly vertical rainbow bars to make things even look worse.  The SNES isn't powerful enough to have such crappy rainbow bars.  Therefore the Genesis wins!"

SNES fan replies:  "Nooooo!!!!!"

SNK gets word of all these schoolyard fights and then comes out with the Neo Geo and the following ad:

"NeoGeo.  Bigger.  Badder.  And by 'Badder' we mean the worst composite video ever seen on any videogame system ever made!  It's so horrible that we had to increase our font size tenfold just so you could read the ingame text.  Our video quality is so piss-poor that we were advised to invest a ton of stock into Lens Crafters and that means NeoGeo is the most powerful system ever.  Don't mess around with a weenie when you can be a real hot dog!"

FM-77

video quality question
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 04:47:42 AM »
I never experienced any "battles" like these either. I had all the systems and my friends liked them all.

I did get a lot of complaints for using Macintosh instead of Windows PCs though - even though they had never used a Mac before. Windows fanboyism.  :wink:

Keranu

video quality question
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
Haha, Mac vs Windows :D . Good stuff!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Odonadon

video quality question
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 04:53:57 PM »
There was one kid I knew in school who had a Neo Geo (Jr. High), and we had interesting conversations comparing our systems.  Also had the "It's not really 16-bit!" argument many times as well with him and others - this is, of course, when us kids had no idea what a bit was or what it really means :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

esteban

video quality question
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 04:24:04 AM »
Initially, my friends and I didn't really have discussions over the hardware: if we did, it was really vague because nobody remembered the actual specifications.  

We did spend a lot of time talking / arguing about the neatest, koolest games, though.
  |    | 

Odonadon

video quality question
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 05:22:21 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
....if we did, it was really vague because nobody remembered the actual specifications.  

That didn't stop me and my friends :) :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

SNKNostalgia

video quality question
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2006, 07:33:26 PM »
I remember Genesis owners saying it was better than the SNES. Back in those days I only had my TG-16, NES and SNES. They would come over and play games like Super Punchout and other great titles. Then they went out and got a SNES that Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I like the Genesis as well, but there just was more quality in the SNES hardware and overall game titles.

The color usage for the TG-16 was just better not to mention the composite output. Now some of the later model Gen 2 system had a the better version of the Sony CXA video chip. Still, I liked the Gen 1 system video output once modded with S-video, you don't get the vertical graphical bars.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 05:42:20 PM by SNKNostalgia »