Author Topic: Where'd you buy your TG?  (Read 1262 times)

dallaspattern

Re: Where'd you buy your TG?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »
My original TG came from Radio Shack, Xmas 1990. My Duo came from a kijiji score, 2007.

roflmao

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 02:50:37 PM »
I lived in HI during the obey-heyday and got my consoles from local mom-and-pop gaming shops there.

Phase

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »
Got the TG16 from Toys R Us Xmas 92 I think it was 50-70$ at that time. Location was Minnetonka MN by Ridgedale mall.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 07:57:30 AM »
I entered the game late. I picked up my TG at a local gamestore back in 2011 for around $40. I got my PC duo-R a few months after that from Keith Courage of this forum. 90% of my games and accessories have been from the forum. I love this place.

im more late to the turbo party. got my turbo in 2013
my express and my duo r just last year!!!!

but better late than never

SuperGrafx

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 04:34:37 PM »
Kaybee Toys at the mall. 
Summer of 1990 I believe.

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2015, 03:29:56 AM »
Shit, I remember Kaybee.  They only shut down what, a decade ago?  I seem to recall their vidja games always being a tad overpriced...
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Anthony1

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2015, 04:03:16 AM »
I got mine in December 1989 at Montgomery Wards.

Possibly the first credit card purchase I've ever made in my life. I believe I bought the system itself, one extra TurboPad, and World Class Baseball. I'm not sure if the salesperson explained to me anything about the TurboTap, so I might have had to run back to the store to get the TurboTap so me and my buds could play two player games in World Class Baseball.

retro junkie

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2015, 07:28:41 AM »
I know that it was the early nineties. And I think they were just beginning to mark down the TG16 stuff. That is when I got my TG16 at a Toys-R-Us. It was across the state line in another town. I think soon afterwards a local Kay Bees began carrying some games. I gained most all of my TG16 stuff very early. If immediately became my favorite system along with my Genesis.

Using a Turbo Tap, Bomberman became a Family passion. We spent many a nights blowing each other up.

At one point I tried ordering the TG CD attachment from this mail order place I found in the back of a magazine. (no net in those days) The place had ran out of stock of the TG16 CD so they sent me the Turbo Duo as a replacement. I was not disappointed.

And for Christmas around that time my Wife got me the Turbo Express.

eldritch

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2015, 07:49:52 AM »
TG Pal I got 2 years ago, when they were re-discovered in some german warehouse  :P

SuperGrafx

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2015, 09:03:24 AM »
Shit, I remember Kaybee.  They only shut down what, a decade ago?  I seem to recall their vidja games always being a tad overpriced...

No sir.
They sort of invented the bargain bin.

Kaybee was infamous for having clearance NES games during the system's heyday.  Who doesn't remember seeing multiple copies of Galaga, ALpha Mission and Raid on Bungeling Bay hung up behind the register with the infamous price tags that had "$19.99" written on it with red ink?

I can still remember bins absolutely full or now rare titles like Sega CD "Snatcher" marked down to ridiculous prices or Atari Jaguar systems for $49?  If only I had a time machine...

Medic_wheat

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2015, 10:09:29 AM »
Craigslist find a little over three years ago when I first got my state job out of my graduate program. Dude had a ton of NES games listed that I intended to buy but someone came the night before his garage sale and bought them all.

When I got there he tried to sell me a very skeleton name machine for $5 which I passed on. He then said he had one other thing video game related. That being a TG-16 and a fist full of games. The whole thing was from a long gone rental store local to the area. The guy could GIVE it away because it wasn't nintendo and no one knew what it was. I knew but at that moment had not known I once experience Obey from a richer slightly older step cousin when I had visited Dallas TX. Well he sold be the whole bundle for $60. The only two games I didn't pick up where Vigilante and a racing game. Mostly because I didn't have another $5 on me and didn't want to hit up the ATM.

csgx1

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2015, 10:48:44 AM »

No sir.
They sort of invented the bargain bin.

Kaybee was infamous for having clearance NES games during the system's heyday.  Who doesn't remember seeing multiple copies of Galaga, ALpha Mission and Raid on Bungeling Bay hung up behind the register with the infamous price tags that had "$19.99" written on it with red ink?

I can still remember bins absolutely full or now rare titles like Sega CD "Snatcher" marked down to ridiculous prices or Atari Jaguar systems for $49?  If only I had a time machine...

I forgot about Kaybee.  They did have some good clearance deals. I don't remember them having a whole lot of Turbo stuff though.

The only thing I remember buying there was Mega Man X snes for $9.99.  I also remember around '94 they were clearing out top loader NES systems for $30 and had stacks of them on the behind the counter shelves.

esadajr

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »
didnt have one in the 90s and didnt know anyone who had one. A local dept store had it, but didn't get a chance to try it.
Gaming since 1985