Author Topic: Deep Blue - Hardcore Gaming 101  (Read 544 times)

Punch

Re: Deep Blue - Hardcore Gaming 101
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 12:58:46 PM »
Arkhan's observations on Deep Blue makes me want to play it. I'll have to check it out again, I really didn't give this game a chance since the only time I've played it, years ago.

jordan_hillman

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 07:48:40 PM »
I definitely consider myself a Deep Blue apologist.  :mrgreen:

Is it the best shooter on the TG/PCE? Absolutely not, however, I do enjoy and appreciate that the game requires a dodge first, shoot second strategy in order to be successful.

Deep Blue is a great example of having to figure out a successful strategy instead of having it spelled out for the player through "sweet spots," tons of power ups, etc.
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

esteban

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 11:56:25 PM »

I definitely consider myself a Deep Blue apologist.  :mrgreen:

Is it the best shooter on the TG/PCE? Absolutely not, however, I do enjoy and appreciate that the game requires a dodge first, shoot second strategy in order to be successful.

Deep Blue is a great example of having to figure out a successful strategy instead of having it spelled out for the player through "sweet spots," tons of power ups, etc.

I hear you. One day I may actually feel this way about Deep Blue.

Right now, it is just a "theory" in my mind. Hahahahahshashs.
  |    | 

Gredler

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 08:41:42 AM »
So what I am gathering from this thread, and from this quote on the HCG101 article,

" You would think a horizontally scrolling shooter on a system with tons of competing shooters would have to be pretty good to stand out. Nope. Deep Blue is not only the worst one available on the TurboGrafx-16, but possibly the worst of any to be released on a major game system. "

is that I should avoid this game until I am looking for something new to play and have played many other shooters. I currently only have Dragon Spirit on TG16, and someone had suggested I get Deep Blue - but now I am suspicious it was sarcasm ;)

esteban

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »

So what I am gathering from this thread, and from this quote on the HCG101 article,

" You would think a horizontally scrolling shooter on a system with tons of competing shooters would have to be pretty good to stand out. Nope. Deep Blue is not only the worst one available on the TurboGrafx-16, but possibly the worst of any to be released on a major game system. "

is that I should avoid this game until I am looking for something new to play and have played many other shooters. I currently only have Dragon Spirit on TG16, and someone had suggested I get Deep Blue - but now I am suspicious it was sarcasm ;)

Correct. There are tons of great Shootemups to try before Deep Blue.

List of shootemups here (you can sort by horizontal/vertical and more):

http://archives.tg-16.com/complete_list_of_tg16_pce_shooters.htm
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 09:24:48 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Deep Blue, but it's not even close to being the worst shewty ever.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles