Author Topic: PCE No Audio  (Read 261 times)

scrappysphinx

PCE No Audio
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:51:48 AM »
Hi all, long time member first time poster :)

I took delivery of a White PC Engine last week with a couple of games. All worked fine with the RF except i had a black and white picture (NTSC signal on PAL TV).

I was going to RGB mod it (have previously done a Core Grafx) but didn't have the parts to build an amp so thought for now i'd try composite.

Using the pinout found on gamesx I soldered the cables to the expansion port using A22 for Composite Video & A21 for video ground and A1 for Left Audio, C1 for Right Audio, C2 for Audio ground. I plugged it in and everything worked fine.

I then put aside while i ordered an amp as i was set on RGB modding it.

Today however (Amp still not arrived yet) i wanted to play some games so plugged it in and i have no audio. I thought maybe it might be bad capacitors as i'd read of in other models of PCE so recapped the entire motherboard but still I have no audio.

I went back to RF and again no audio.

I did a google search and found that supposedly HuC6280 is responsible for audio & controller functions so i decided to try tapping audio directly from the chip. I soldered the wires onto pins 17 (L Audio Out), 18 (R Audio out) & 20 (Audio Ground) as in the pinout found on Console5 wiki but again i have no audio.

So i guess what i'm asking is, does anyone know anything else i can try or is likely that the chip has failed and i'm gonna need a replacement board/console?

pnauts

Re: PCE No Audio
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:07:21 AM »
Do you use a Scart ?
wire unplugged in it ? pin misalignement ?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:23:37 AM »
Welcome aboard, sphinx.  Good luck getting your PCE fixed up.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

wildfruit

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 07:32:21 AM »
Hope u get this sorted. The music is what really sets the pce apart from the rest. If it is scart I can empathise. My beloved crt iis playing up a bit now getting a bit loose. Everything was green this morning but a good wiggle sorted it out.

scrappysphinx

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 12:22:09 AM »
Hi all, as mentioned, there is no Audio from any output source. This includes the original RF or composite AV. I'm gonna try reflowing the chip with some flux, solder paste and hot air but if that doesn't work i'll just look for a replacement unit. Will probably pick up a core grafx as that was a lot neater to rgb mod.

mickcris

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 01:49:29 PM »
have you double checked your wiring on the expansion bus?  possibly one of the audio wires moved a bit and is touching ground or something now.

scrappysphinx

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 12:42:45 AM »
Sorry for lack of update.

I have reflowed and recapped the entire board. Removed all modifications and still no audio. Something has obviously failed.

Not to worry, I'll keep my eye out for a cheap replacement console