Author Topic: cd rom spinning up without reason.  (Read 322 times)

Ninja16608

cd rom spinning up without reason.
« on: June 06, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »
Has anyone here had any experience with a cd unit that when powered on from the dock just starts spinning the disk with no PC displayed. Pressing run has no effect either, I'm  guessing due to the laser not moving. The laser is however free but will not travel.

Keith Courage

Re: cd rom spinning up without reason.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »
Do you mean it spins up on it's own without pressing any buttons of any kind?

If so then it is definitely a motherboard issue of some sort. I don't know where to start looking but there is either a bad chip or trace somewhere. Thesteve may be able to fix it for you if you ship it his way. He is the best at solving chip/trace issues.

Ninja16608

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 12:38:57 PM »
Yeah Keith, as soon as I flip the power on to the dock, not even the turbo unit just the dock the disk (well the spindle) with start going. I thought it might be a chip issue as well. I checked and didn't see any traces broken but I could have very well missed it. Going to look again. If the Steve could chime in and maybe point me in the right area to look that would be cool. If I can't find it I may have to send it out if he is still doing that sort of thing.

Thanks for the reply and the point in the right direction Keith.

thesteve

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »
trace likely
history of the unit may be relevant
is the laser sled or eye moving when powered other then momentary bounce (if not possible bad motor driver or related trace)

Ninja16608

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 09:26:19 AM »
No laser eye movement at all. Spindle just starts up as soon as i power the cd unit on, I don't even have to power the turbo. Going to check for traces tonight, I have a replacement laser handy if that is the issue. Will update on trace search later on.

wilykat

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 10:47:31 AM »
Do you have a regular TG-16 or PCE/Coregrafx AC adapter? Remove the CD drive, plug the power to the CD drive and see how it behaves. Plop a regular audio CD and listen to it.  If it sounds normal, the dock could be bad.  If it acts up, the CD drive could be the problem.

Ninja16608

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »
It's a TG-16 regular drive, I have not found any broken traces yet, I also have no idea where to start looking so I have been going over the whole board. If it were to be a chip what one controls it? where should I start looking for broken traces?

Thanks for the help guys.

thesteve

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »
CXA1082 controls all movement, and the 2 big amp chips drive it