Author Topic: Audio Distortion Turbo Duo  (Read 302 times)

cubersub

Audio Distortion Turbo Duo
« on: June 13, 2015, 07:15:18 PM »
Need some advice guys. i have a turbo duo it's had audio issues (distortion/low volume) in both super cd and hu card games. So i paid a reputable company you can say to replace the caps, he said he did most of them. Also told me after testing the sound is a lot better. So he mailed it back to me, shits the same as when i sent it! paid the guy about $100. This is a reputable guy a lot of people use for their retro consoles/mods. I'm not sure if i should mention his name/company name since i don't want to burn him, he may be good most of the time but for me so far it hasn't worked. he didn't really do a good job you can say. But anyway, i told him about the problem, he said send it back or he can provide a refund....then he messaged me asking to try the headphone jack to troubleshoot...i did and the headphone jack audio is superb. So basically the audio out from the composite has problems. I shot video to youtube to show the guy 

any advice on what i should do would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:19:41 AM by cubersub »

Keith Courage

Re: Audio Distortion Turbo Duo
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 09:09:52 PM »
You need to have it looked at again. There is most likely some damaged traces from old cap corrosion or old cap goop underneathe one or more of the op amps. Very common problem.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:15:04 PM by Keith Courage »

esteban

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:29:06 PM »
Also, you need to tell us who did the work.
Now.
  |    | 

schweaty

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 06:24:49 AM »
Also, you need to tell us who did the work.
Now.

this.  that is an overcharge for a recap (IMO), they didnt even replace them all (strike 2), and it still sounds terrible. 

cubersub

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »
It was more like $90 and included cost of shipping it back to me and cost of caps. so i dont know seemed reasonable, maybe its expensive i dont know, but i went with someone well known for this stuff and didnt mind paying a little more if need be....after all were talking about the duo not some ps1 or some cheap ass system. but anyway he told me to send it back with all the cables and power supplies because (as he said) "The confusing part is I never experienced the Distortion when it was here. So I want all the cables etc to reproduce your issue." i dont think he's lying or anything so im sending it back. makes me wonder if the cable can cause such a thing...maybe somebody can tell me...o well when you dont know much about these things you gotta trust someone that seems to know. any feedback from you guys would be appreciated. and ill keep this thread updated if anyone cares :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:58:54 AM by cubersub »

esteban

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »

It was more like $90 and included cost of shipping it back to me and cost of caps. so i dont know seemed reasonable, maybe its expensive i dont know, but i went with someone well known for this stuff and didnt mind paying a little more if need be....after all were talking about the duo not some ps1 or some cheap ass system. but anyway he told me to send it back with all the cables and power supplies because (as he said) "The confusing part is I never experienced the Distortion when it was here. So I want all the cables etc to reproduce your issue." i dont think he's lying or anything so im sending it back. makes me wonder if the cable can cause such a thing...maybe somebody can tell me...o well when you dont know much about these things you gotta trust someone that seems to know. any feedback from you guys would be appreciated. and ill keep this thread updated if anyone cares :)

Ok, with this additional info it doesn't seem to be as bad as I initially thought.

It seems the person is going to rectify things.

Pay heed to the tech gurus here (not me)  who actually do this work, since they will provide the best advice.
  |    |