Author Topic: Hello from a first timer  (Read 490 times)

vestcoat

Hello from a first timer
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 12:08:08 PM »
A complete list of all domestic TG16 RPGs according to...me:

Turbo Chips[/u]
Neutopia
Neutopia 2 (Zelda clones)
Order of the Griffon (TSR/D+D RPG)
Double Dungeons
Dungeon Explorer

CDs[/u]
Ys book 1-2
Ys 3:  Wanderers from Ys
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Exile

Super CDs[/u]
Exile: Wicked Phenomena
Dungeon Explorer 2
Might and Magic 3
Dungeon Master:  Theron's Quest
Dragon Slayer:  Legend of Heroes

Besides that you also have:
Final Lap Twin (Racing game with mini-RPG mode)
World Class Tennis (Sports game with mini-RPG mode)
Loom (Graphic Quest/RPG)
Beyond Shadowgate (RPG-ish?  Looks like a Kings Quest kind of game, haven't played it.)
----------
One of the awesome things about the TG is pretty much all of these games kick ass (maybe not Double Dungeons).  You can't really go wrong with RPGs on the Turbo although some of them have aged better than others.

Working Designs deserves a special mention.  They brought CF2 and the Exile games over from Japan.  They also did Cadash, Parasol Stars and Vasteel; all of which are great games although they're not RPGs.

A few good Japanese RPGs you can find on the cheap are:
Emerald Dragon
Magicoal (secret of mana style)
Tengai Makyou II

For platformers, I would highly recommend Dragon's Curse (Hucard) and Dynastic Hero (SCD).  These games are part of the whole Wonderboy in Monsterland/Dragon's Trap series and combine RPG elements with platform action/adventure.  Unless you have an extra half a grand in your bank, go for the import version of Dynastic Hero.

Also check out Shockman (the TG16 Megaman with a lot of twists, 2 players and some shooter levels), Cadash, the Valis games and, of course...Pacland :wink:
[/u][/b]

runinruder

Hello from a first timer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 01:24:34 PM »
Shinigami, I believe you're referring to Bravoman in your quirky platformer query.

There aren't too many good cute/cartoony platformers aside from the Bonks.  New Adventure Island and Jackie Chan are okay.  Some people even like JJ & Jeff.

There are some good hack-and-slash-type platformers, though.  Try Legendary Axe, Legendary Axe II, Ninja Spirit, Dracula X (import), Valis 3, Valis 4 (import), and Shubibinman 3 (import).
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

nodtveidt

Hello from a first timer
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 02:47:01 PM »
Cadash is considered an RPG...it's simply an action-based RPG like Exile.

Shinigami

Hello from a first timer
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 02:37:24 PM »
Bravoman! That was it! Yeah, that looked like something I'd like. Extra half a grand? Jeez, Dynastic Hero seems a bit steep for me, I'm only a high school student. >_> I already thought the Valis games looked quite nice, and I was planning on getting those. Shockman sounds fun, too. These games like Cadash, which are apparently platform-RPGs, I like them. Oh, uh, not to sound like a noob here, but what is a Super CD?

esteban

Hello from a first timer
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 03:39:57 PM »
Quote from: "Shinigami"
Bravoman! That was it! Yeah, that looked like something I'd like. Extra half a grand? Jeez, Dynastic Hero seems a bit steep for me, I'm only a high school student. >_> I already thought the Valis games looked quite nice, and I was planning on getting those. Shockman sounds fun, too. These games like Cadash, which are apparently platform-RPGs, I like them. Oh, uh, not to sound like a noob here, but what is a Super CD?
The first generation CD-ROM games were simply "CD", then Hudson graced us with the Super CD-ROM format. You can find all the answers in FAQ here: http://pcenginefx.com/main/nec_compatibility_guide.html

Don't worry, all of the different formats can be confusing at first. Give it time to sink in :)
  |    | 

Keranu

Hello from a first timer
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 05:06:34 PM »
Quote from: "vestcoat"
One of the awesome things about the TG is pretty much all of these games kick ass (maybe not Double Dungeons).

DISAGREED!

Quote from: "runinruder"
Some people even like JJ & Jeff.

Totally referring to me :lol: .

A few other cute/cartoony platformers on PCE HuCard format that come to mind are Aoi Blink, Niko Niko Pun, and DORAEMON - NOBITA'S DORABIAN NIGHT (also on CD). There are also a ton of hack-and-slash platformers, some of which were mentioned by Runin, but there are lots more than that even.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).