Author Topic: Do any games actually use the high resolution mode?  (Read 291 times)

Joe Redifer

Do any games actually use the high resolution mode?
« on: July 17, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »
I didn't know which forum (Turbo or PC Engine) to put this in since it is not region specific, but the question still remains, and people seem to frequent this room more.

Are there any games to run in the 512x240 resolution mode?  Do any games use it just for a title screen maybe?  I know R-Type runs at something like 352x240 but that is the highest I've seen the Turbo go.  Most games run at 256x224, I believe.

Kaminari

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:48:05 PM »
A good 10% of the PCE games use 336x224 (like most Irem titles for example).

As for 512x224, there's not much of them. Sherlock Holmes 1&2, some screens in the intro of Shadow of the Beast (a real showroom of screen modes!) and the team status screen in TV Sports Basketball. Though there still might be other examples lurking around.

nodtveidt

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 11:35:28 AM »
256x224 is pretty much accepted as the "standard" PCE resolution, and I believe that's why most games were made at that size. More resolution requires more VRAM to display.

Vanquish

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 09:06:24 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
256x224 is pretty much accepted as the "standard" PCE resolution

That is the resolution of sex  :lol:  :wink:

vestcoat

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 08:04:06 PM »
there was a really old post i found here:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=514
that mentions a hi-res mode in Mad Stalker.
I'd love to know if such a thing exists.  can anyone confirm this?

Here's the original quote:
Quote from: "xarok"
I haven't played the other versions, but what I can say about the PCE version is that I enjoyed it back in the day. The controls are razor sharp with massive action on the screen and no slowdown, large sprites with good AI, good music and the hidden ability to switch the graphics to high resolution mode (even in this mode the game still plays at the same frame rate which is really impressive).
The only negative is that it doen't really take advantage of the PCE color pallette and that only the elevator stage has parallax scrolling (which is something I could care less about since what really matters here is the awesome handling of sprites).
It could have been a tiny bit better (although the high res mode noticeably improves the graphics quality), but the way it is it's still a fun game that's worth tracking down.

GUTS

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 06:31:39 PM »
If it looked so much better and played at the same framerate, why wouldn't they have just made it the default mode?  Sounds like bullshit to me.

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 07:48:01 PM »
Because programmers enjoy having evil fun, at least that's what I have gathered from other hidden game info.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).