Author Topic: Building my own PCE stick - help needed  (Read 236 times)

Stein

Building my own PCE stick - help needed
« on: November 04, 2015, 01:42:02 AM »
Hi all,

Been lurking around here for a while, ever since I decided tot buy a pce duo-r, living the daylights out of it ever since, best decision I made this year :)

Anyway, I was thinking of building my own stick, mainly tot be used for shooters, so I've been reading up on that and preparing this little project. There is a ton of info out there on how to do this, but not on one subject: turbofire.

Do I keep the switches or is it possible to solder them like you would the other buttons? Or am I doing it all wrong?

I'm going to hack a cheap 3rd party pce pad, so there might be a difference in the PCB compared to an original controller, nut is there anybody that can point me in the right direction as how to proceed with this?

Pardon my mistakes, not a native speaker and auto correct is driving me insane atm :p
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:19:46 AM by Stein »

Vimtoman

Re: Building my own PCE stick - help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 02:37:59 AM »
Just Google it.

Put "hack pc engine pad" and select images and choose one.

CGQuarterly

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 03:43:38 AM »
You don't need to hack a pad at all.  You can still buy the multiplexer chips used in PCE/TG16 pads, and you can just buy a PCE extension cable from Monoprice for like a dollar.  Just open up one of your pads, and follow the traces around the PCB, seeing which legs of the chip everything connects to, and make yourself a diagram.  I don't know exactly how the turbo function works in the pad, but looking at the PCB I could figure it out pretty quickly.  Then you can just make your own much more compact PCB to put inside the stick.

Edit: "Just Google it".  Glad to see another helpful member signing up for the forums.   :roll:

tbone3969

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 04:58:38 AM »
Good luck with that.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

wilykat

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 06:36:05 AM »
http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/turbocont.htm

Explains about the rapid fire and multiplexer chip. Also there are 4 different basic design of PCE controller.  The original one with no rapid fire, the 2 button with rapid fire (most common), 3 buttons, and 6 buttons.  The schematic above is for 6 buttons and needs a few extra chips to add 4 more buttons.  Just google for other schematic, they are easily found.

Stein

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 06:49:54 AM »
Well, I googled it before asking here but wasn't happy with the results I've gotten because I'm not all that technical. Hence my asking on this board. But thanks for that particular insightful advice.

As I understand it I should look at the chip instead of the connectionpoint (don't know if it's the right word) on the pad?

Will give it another look once I open up the pad tomorrow, thanks for the advice so far!

thesteve

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 07:26:31 AM »
consider this
what you want depends on what featured you want
a simple 2 button (ST/SE/I/II/U/D/L/R) it just a 1 chip controller

Vimtoman

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »
Next step is to make it wireless.