Author Topic: amplified stereo signal to modded rgb tennokoe  (Read 341 times)

kaliki

amplified stereo signal to modded rgb tennokoe
« on: September 09, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
I use to mod tennokoe to get rgb output from pc engine/coregrafx but I noticed that audio taken from ext port is not amplified and has very low volume compared to the signal in normal av output.

I wonder if there are some pins in the ext port I can use as bridge to bring amplified stereo signal to the rgb scart output, somebody has done this?

wilykat

Re: amplified stereo signal to modded rgb tennokoe
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 02:13:50 AM »
Output isn't improved. IIRC Turbobooster Plus has audio amp circuit to boost the 2 sound channels.

Considering the expansion connector are the same in all PC Engine, Coregrafx, Supergrafx, and TG-16 chances are the audio out is not amped.

kaliki

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 03:39:40 PM »
I know that are unamped, only thing I was asking if someone know if there are some unused pins in the ext port to use them as bridge between the amped stereo lines inside the consoles and the rgb av output outside the tennokoe

wilykat

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 12:01:47 AM »
Nope.  There's only 3 pins relating to audio: http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/pcebp.php

2 are stereo sound out and 1 is (mono?) sound in.  Nothing else can be done from the expansion port, you would need to add an amp if it sounds weak.

pdiggitydogg

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 12:48:55 AM »
Since you're using a tennokoe, why not insert a 5v audio amplifier? I saw a cheapie on amazon for $6
Or am I wrong in thinking thenextnpins have 5v?

Ergot_Cholera

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 09:31:46 AM »
I am interested in some kind of audio amp for original PC Engine (or Tennokoe 2) mods. Does anyone know, or have experience of a suitable one?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
Have you tried turning up your stereo?

Ergot_Cholera

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 11:57:37 PM »
Yes, but there is sometimes a buzzing sound which becomes more audible when the TV volume is increased. I am not sure whether just increasing the volume on the output device is the correct way to achieve correct amplification.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 01:31:49 AM »
Gain is gain. However, if you only have a TV then there isn't much to work with. Maybe the amp is your solution.