Author Topic: turbografx cd not working please help  (Read 282 times)

jax911

turbografx cd not working please help
« on: September 25, 2015, 12:10:35 PM »
OK. so i got a turbo cd it powers on it says pc when its on but when i click run nothing happens no sound nothing now i did some investigating of mine own and so its not the yellow gear which everyone always says it is because it moves perfectly fine. its not the laser because well i bought it and switched them and it still doesn't work .... now i'm out 30$ nothings working please help me i've been trying to fix this for like 2 months now why is it not working? its not spinning there's no noise nothing it just doesn't do anything when i hit run..

Keith Courage

Re: turbografx cd not working please help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »
Well you could have a motherboard issue. However, this may be a dumb question but have you put the lens ribbon cables back in the correct way? The larger wider cable should be inserted with the contacts facing outwards away from the center of the CD drive.

Also, to test the CD drive just hit the play button on the top to use an audio disc. This will at least let you know if it is a CD drive issue or a docking station/system issue.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:53:45 PM by Keith Courage »

jax911

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 02:55:35 AM »
i plugged it in i pressed play with a music cd it turns on and 0 comes on but nothing happens it doesn't spin nothing

BlueBMW

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 04:36:01 AM »
Sometimes the middle gear may appear ok and even move by hand ok too but it could still be stiff enough that the drive motor cant get it started moving.  One way to test might be to push the lens out on the track somewhere, press play and then finger the gear and see if it starts moving to center.  I've seen this happen multiple times.  That middle gear is junk.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

jax911

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »
so 1. THANK YOU SO MUCH .
2. i did what you said i started moving the yellow gear and i heard one of the small gears to the left of it working trying to push it but it wasn't ....

so by golly ! i guess it is the yellow gear all along! -_-

BlueBMW

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 07:30:52 AM »
Its really deceiving because the gear can look intact.  I think what happens is over time the plastics of the gear absorb some of the lubricants and over time expand and thus become tighter on the axle rod.  There are replacements available nowadays.  Should be a quick easy fix!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

jax911

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:19:50 PM »
yeah. so i got the gear finally put the gear back in place and everything so now the laser moves but the disc still doesn't spin? is it the way i'm putting the ribbons what could be the cause for the disc not spinning?

GohanX

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 02:14:20 PM »
It is very easy to put the ribbons in backwards, yes.

jax911

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 06:34:46 PM »
i tried both ways of the ribbon... am i doing something wrong also if the ribbons aren't connected properly is that why the disc doesn't spin or can there be other reasons?

BlueBMW

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 02:44:55 AM »
One quick way to test things is to remove a disc, push the laser outward on the track so it's away from center.  Use something to push the lid closed switch and then hit play.  The laser should track to center and you should see the laser bob up and down a few times and you should be able to see the laser light.