Author Topic: FMV Games on the PC Engine CD-ROM/TG-CD List?  (Read 542 times)

tpgb12

FMV Games on the PC Engine CD-ROM/TG-CD List?
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »
Has anyone ever made a list of FMV games on CD-ROM2/Super CD-ROM2 or games that at least have some FMV elements in it?  The only games I can think of are It Came from the Desert and the Sherlock Holmes games.

deubeul

Re: FMV Games on the PC Engine CD-ROM/TG-CD List?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:37:27 PM »
Sailormoon collection

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 02:51:51 PM »
Power Golf 2 does.

It kinda depends on what you classify as fmv. Many game have anime cinema segments that are done the exact same way as fmv, but aren't streamed. These include Patlabor, Gunbusters and 3x3 Eyes.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 04:00:41 PM »
Here's a shorter list: HuVIDEO...

http://archives.tg-16.com/Dengeki_PC_Engine_1995_06.htm#huvideo_complete_filmography

But, I'm sure it isn't complete.

Does Power Golf 2 use HuVIDEO?
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »
Regarding Yuna: When Yuna 2 came out Hudson reprinted Yuna 1 and packaged it with an extremely short anime OVA, a minute or two, on a second disc. This is the only thing HuVIDEO about Yuna. If you get an original version it won't have this. They are easy to tell apart, the single CD case is the first, the double thick cases are the reprint.

This is probably the best and easiest to reference use of FMV on PCE. It looks really good, maybe 1/4 VCD quality, same as SegaCD, probably better. Too bad it doesn't do anything!

wilykat

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
What about CD+G support?  It's supposed to have it and that seems like it could do simple FMV if you make video in CD+G format.

NM, it's something like 10 seconds per frame at best.

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 02:18:54 AM »

http://archives.tg-16.com/Dengeki_PC_Engine_1995_06.htm#huvideo_complete_filmography

I don't remember seeing a HuVideo logo and it's only 15 colors at a time. But Madden looks the same, so maybe it's the same as that.

esteban

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 02:24:43 AM »

I don't remember seeing a HuVideo logo and it's only 15 colors at a time. But Madden looks the same, so maybe it's the same as that.

Yeah, and IIRC,  the release dates (which I did not look up for this post) would suggest that it is a possibility.

|    | 

tpgb12

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 02:05:20 PM »
I checked out the Yuna HuVideo disc.  Pretty interesting to see.  Although, I wonder why the disc takes up more than 400mb when it's only a few minutes of video and some still images at the end...

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »
I checked out the Yuna HuVideo disc.  Pretty interesting to see.  Although, I wonder why the disc takes up more than 400mb when it's only a few minutes of video and some still images at the end...

CD audio takes up a lot of space. 400mb is about one music track.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »
What about CD+G support?  It's supposed to have it and that seems like it could do simple FMV if you make video in CD+G format.

CD+G doesn't offer anything approaching what I would call FMV. Images come in at "Amiga BBS on 800 baud modem" speeds if done full frame. We're talking like...0.1 fps.

Bonknuts

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 02:53:10 PM »

There's a lot of garbage in the data track. And IIRC, the data track is double in length (repeats twice). And.. IIRC, there's large chunks of the first game in the data track (not sure why they included it, but no official access to it).

CD audio is 10megabytes a minute.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »

CD+G doesn't offer anything approaching what I would call FMV. Images come in at "Amiga BBS on 800 baud modem" speeds if done full frame. We're talking like...0.1 fps.

Well, that was me being stupid.