Author Topic: gamefaqs.com top 10 turbo grafx 16 games  (Read 388 times)

hizaygizirlz

gamefaqs.com top 10 turbo grafx 16 games
« on: September 23, 2006, 06:03:16 PM »
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/632.html

Discuss.  Obviously this list does not include Duo, i don't know what my top 10 would be, but i'm sure final lap twin, and jj and jeff wouldn't be on it.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »
That list is merely ok, but how is Dungeon Explorer behind Keith Courage :D ? Also I am surprised J.J. and Jeff made it in the top 5; and you all thought only I would consider J.J. and Jeff a top 5 Turbo game! :D
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 02:41:28 AM »
Well, this list was authored by one person, so it reflects his gaming interests. Clearly, he liked JJ & Jeff ! :)

...These are just a few in my opinon that really stand out among the rest.

If this list was the result of a "poll", then I think Keith Courage would still make the top 10, if only because it was the pack-in and anyone who had TG-16 has played it. This is a lame reason for making the Top 10, of course, but I'm sure this sort of thing happens for platforms that most folks have limited experience.
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 04:49:28 AM »
Well, when you are talking about only US HuCards, your selection is pretty f*cking terrible so I guess this is what the list looks like. If I were to compile a list of the greatest PC Engine games ever made including CDs not one of these games would even crack the top 20. Final Lap Twin was very original, and a favorite in my household, and of course everyone loves Devil's Crush, but there is a lot of good stuff out there in the Japanese library.

Even when dealing within these limitations however I'm much more partial to Bomberman, Air Zonk, Blazing Lasers, R-Type, and Magical Chase. I'm pretty sure whoever wrote this list has just never played much of anything.

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 09:48:16 AM »
I don't know why people complain about the selection of American released HuCards. There are certainly a decent amount of them and I honestly think we got most of the best imports when it comes to HuCards because there are only a handful of Japanese only HuCards that I can think of that are really worth having. Other than that, I say there are plenty of good HuCard games in America.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 10:43:45 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I don't know why people complain about the selection of American released HuCards. There are certainly a decent amount of them and I honestly think we got most of the best imports when it comes to HuCards because there are only a handful of Japanese only HuCards that I can think of that are really worth having. Other than that, I say there are plenty of good HuCard games in America.

I agree that we did get a good number of great HuCards over here, but there are at least as many different PC Engine HuCards as good as the best of the the Turbochips.

And it's true that people like to complain and when they do, it's often about the tiny selection of titles for the Turbografx-16, both CD and HuCard.

But the thing is, how many people have actually seriously played through every, or even most of, the great Turbo games that doesn't go for over $100 in the collectible market?

Sure they can argue that we didn't get good games in every genre conceivable, but I can live without Dance Dance Turbografx and Stealth Operation: Hide & Seak(unless Silent Debuggers counts).

I think Keith Courage is a decent game and everyone I knew back in the day liked it more and were more impressed by it than Altered Beast on Genesis.

But I wouldn't rank it in the top 10 of Turbografx games. If it did get into the top 10 in a poll, my guess would be because so many people voting wouldn't be very familiar with the Turbografx in general and it's one of the most commonly heard off titles simple because it was a pack-in.

Also, individuals would probably like to make a balanced list with different types of games and limit multiple entries by the same series, but as much as I love so many Turbo games... any real top 10 list should be one third Bonk titles.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

BonkThis

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 03:57:47 AM »
I can add 3 that are great right off the top of my head

Soldier Blade
Hit The Ice
New Adventure Island.

If you dont like hit the ice throw in Ninja Spirit.
 :lol:

grahf

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 06:15:53 AM »
Here is an idea. What do you say us forum member start our own poll for the best TG16, PCE, and CD games. I dont think the forum poll would be useful since it has limited option choices. Does anyone know of a place where we can do a free poll?

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 06:46:33 AM »
Pretty surprised to see Operation Wolf in today's list.

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 07:16:58 AM »
After looking at some of the other Gamefaqs top ten lists, it looks like the Turbografx one was the most logical of the bunch.

It sounds like they're all put together by casual gamers who only played retro games casually while they wrere current and now make a lists based on vague memory of the limited number of titles they were even exposed to.

My arcade tastes are slanted this way more than anything. The games I was exposed to back in the day mean more to me than anything, but I still collect old pcb's and try everything on Mame.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum